Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a solution for me,I bought a new sweater and have pilling on it I was told by the manufacture that it was normal and to shave it lightly as it only needs shaving once?the sweater has lots of cable stitches and I do not want to snag the sweater which could happen with a shaver,are there any new gadgets on the market that could do the job successfully,hoping someone can help me.Maud

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
I don't have one myself, but maybe a shaver made just for removing the pilling from knit garments might work out well. Pulling them off is a temperary solution, because it still leaves plenty of little fibers behind.

·
Registered
76,981 Posts
Oh Maud, I know exactly what you mean! I have an Aran knit cream color sweater made from fine Merino and it pills too. I have mine dry cleaned and ask them to "depill" it then. Unfortunately, the pilling is just the nature of the wool.

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
Northwoods Gal said:
Oh Maud, I know exactly what you mean! I have an Aran knit cream color sweater made from fine Merino and it pills too. I have mine dry cleaned and ask them to "depill" it then. Unfortunately, the pilling is just the nature of the wool.
I think you are right. I love using pure wool and alpaca so almost all my sweaters pill. Alpaca is the worst. I do have a little electric gadget just made for depilling. Unfortunately, it only works on lighter yarn so I have to do heavier with small scissors.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a shaving stone that I use on my sweaters that pill. (Merino pills like crazy; I only buy it when it's mixed with other fiber). It's called "Sweater Stone: Professional Garment Care". I can't remember where I got it...I've had it for more than 10 years and now I need a new one.
Lyn in NC

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
If the "shaving stones" are too expensive, buy a pumice stone sold for using on your feet during a pedicure to remove callouses, etc. They are cheaper, and are really the same thing.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Also very important if you are hand washing to wash inside out so the abrasion happens on the inside.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi,

There are shavers at the craft stores. They will say what they are for.

I've had one for many years. My granddaugher expressed that he had pills on her sweaters. I found one for her just like mine sometime last year. So there should be one you can buy.

josiehof

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there. When i had angora sweaters they tend to do the same. I bout a very inexpensive roll hair brush and brushed it lightly and it brought the fibers back up although some embedded pilling especially the under arm where it rubs together alot i had to had remove some of that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
From Pandora

Just this morning I saw one advertised in a catalog called Solutions, 1.800.342.9988, or www.Solutions.com. Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee. Fabric Shaver, $19.98. Maybe that will do the trick for what I am sure are beautiful knitted items.

·
Registered
39,111 Posts
I bought a clothing shaver and find it very helpful and easy to use. I would suggest that you get one with an adaptor. Batteries are expensive...I think I got it at Walmart in the U.S. as I couldn't find one in Canadian stores.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom