Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have spent the whole morning trying to knit a pair of baby booties from Val Pierce's book "Knitted baby booties" there are some lovely little booties/shoes and my friend is expecting a baby so I thought I would try one of these patterns. The problem is I don't know how to turn (the knitting that is) LOL the pattern reads as follows:-

Row 21 K19 (K2tog) 12 times, knit to end (50sts)
Row 22 P33, turn
Row 23 (K2tog) 8 times, K1, turn

I have gotten to the 50 stitches in Row 21 with no problem but when I turn my knitting the wool is on the wrong side and I don't know how to continue. Can someone please help me I am sooooo thick at times but I have tried everything I have gone on the internet but it just explains the wrap and turn. HELP

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Take a deep breath; it is going to look funny to you. When it says turn, you turn the whole thing right around so the wool is correct to continue knitting BACK ACROSS what you just did - its called Short Rows. You should end up at the start for row 23. if its still confusing look up a video for short rows and/or try it on scrap and other larger needles so you can se the stitches, good luck let us know how you're going !

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
A assume you turned the knitting when you did straight (flat) knitting on straight needles. It is exactly the same thing.

Row 22: Purl the 33 stitches. Now, with the knitting in hand, turn the right hand needle, just like straight knitting. It is now the left hand needle.

Row 23: (k2tog)8 times, k1, turn.

This is a short row pattern. Furthermore, there should be a turn on the end of row 21 or it won't work right. You are changing from in-the-round knitting to flat knitting. So, yes, you are working with the wrong side facing you. That's why you have to P33, and why I know Row 21 ends with a Turn.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi. Your wool will be on the wrong side when you turn your work. This is normal so just keep following the pattern. You are not doing anything wrong, it"s just a bit strange at first. Good luck.x

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You literally turn the whole thing round so the needle with the unknitted stitches is now in your right hand and the stitches just knitted In you left your yarn should then be in the right place to pearl. Then you pearl back across those stitches and the unknitted stitches stay on the end of the needle until you get to a bit that says to knit right across. This is short row knitting often used for shaping. Hope this helps x

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your help Kitty but I still can't get it right. I understand that you have to turn your work etc. but the wool is on the other needle at the other end so what do I knit with, do I have to break the yarn and reattach it?

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
janis blondel said:
Thank you for your help Kitty but I still can't get it right. I understand that you have to turn your work etc. but the wool is on the other needle at the other end so what do I knit with, do I have to break the yarn and reattach it?
Janis, you're overthinking it. Step back and reason it out. When you knit on straight needles and you get to the end of a row, you must turn the work. Where is the yarn end? Right there at the beginning of a row, ready to start knitting. Do not break the yarn!!!!

Short-row knitting is exactly the same! The only difference is you turn in the midst of a row. Like this example:

Row 1: K across 20 sts.
Row 2: K across 20 sts.
Row 3: K 14 sts. Turn work. At this point, when you turn the work you will have, in order, 6 sts on the right needle left unworked, the yarn, and 14 sts on the left hand needle. You will start knitting at the point where the yarn is. You will ignore the 6 unworked sts for now.
Row 4: K 14. You will knit back to the end of this row.
Row 5: K 11. Turn. At this point you will have 9 sts on the right hand needle after the turn.
Row 6: K 11.
Row 7: Knit 20. This is where you work back to the original sts. You just act like they were always worked.

Make a 20 st swatch and try this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom