Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Salutations

Yes yarn is spun from roving or "top" (combed roving). There is something called pencil roving that people use to knit with. It is a more artsy yarn. Pencil roving is about the size of pencil and has not been spun.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for responding. So there is roving from which one can spin their yarn and - that same roving that is "un-spun" can be wound into a skein or ball for knitting. I had asked this question because I recently purchased a yarn described as a "roving style worsted weight yarn". To look at it, it doesn't look plied or spun. I usually knit with fingering yarns and occasionally other weight yarns. It's only recently that I even heard of "roving or roving style" yarns - My only knowledge of it was related to spinning. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Salutations

Glad I could help. Lucky you, I knit and spin so I know about roving. Was just with spinning buddies today, so I was in top form.

Enjoy, your new yarn. May I caution you? I would only soak it, roll it in a towel to take out the water, and let it dry flat. If it is wool or alpaca it will felt with any agitation and you will be an unhappy camper. Let me know if I can help anymore.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always soak my projects in Euclan, roll 'em and block 'em! I'm afraid to take up spinning as some of my knitting friends have. One addiction is enough for me and I'm sure I would love it..... Thanks for your offer of further help - I'll keep it in mind. My best to you and happy spinning and knitting....

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I bought Euclan online after reading about it in a knitting magazine. And then found it for half the price in a local knitting shop. It's used to wash knitted garments. I don't use it for acrylic, but the wool sweaters I knit for Afghan kids. And the great thing is that you don't have to rinse.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I forget which web site I was on...I wondered too.

Roving yarn is yarn that shas been spun into quite large or bulky size... not finished yarn.

Consider it "unfinished" and waiting to be reduced or transformed into a finer yarn...as in worsted weight, or DK, or whatever the case might be.

It is "raw" fiber, not dyed, just cleaned, and spun into something to work with toward a finished product

Let me make a comparison...Tree, cut down, cut into logs, then lumber, lumber is then cut into different sizes as in 2 x 2, 2 x 4 , 1 x 2..etc. Roving is waiting to be made into different yarns, different fibers added, etc. Does that help? Hope so.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alucalind said:
Ok, I learned something, now I have a question, What is Euclan? And what does it do, where can I get it, etc.

Thanks for your help... Aluca
Sorry - My mistake. It's spelled Eucalan.... and as someone said, you don't have to rinse it out. I use the lavender scented one. I found it at a small sheep and wool gathering, however, I believe it can be found at LYSs and on-line if you google it.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Salutations

I must disagree with Rebecca a tad. There is pencil roving that has been drafted to the thickness of the pencil. It can be dyed already or raw. It can be spun, needle felted or knitted depending on what you want to do with it. Raw fiber is either made into roving or top. Roving has all the fibers in a random fashion or it it made into top that has been combed and all the fibers are going in the same direction and are the same staple length. I would guess that pencil roving would be used as an embellishment in needle felting not as to create a purse or scarf since it is more expensive.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Then it is pencil roving. Enjoy. Knit with it like yarn, just be careful about how you wash it so that it does not felt if you do not want it too.

Gotta love fiber so much to do and so little time

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
There are, as someone already said, roving type yarns. These yarns are ready to knit with. You must knit with some care, however, as they will pull apart. The great thing is they will spit splice easily. I know of 3:
Lopi, Lopi Lite, and Plymouth's Boku.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom