Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of patterns I like that say to knit (put number here), and then TURN. It says put the yarn in the back, but I can't figure this out.

For example, cast on 20, knit 8, turn (put yarn in back), knit 8, turn, etc.

Can someone explain this to me so that i can follow this in my brain? :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, Lois, that's exactly right.

Cast on 20, but knit only 8 and then "turn"...I'm c onfused as to what happens to those that are left on the needle.

Maybe there is a youtube for it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Lois. You got me started on a video quest. I think I knit the continental style and I couldn't find one with this style of knitting until I found this one...seems simple enough. Gonna try it when I get home (I'm at work now)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think I can Claire my new friend....sort of explain...here goes..You must be knitting one of those curly potato chip scarves since you knit a lot of scarves, that's what I'm assuming...you knit 8 (k8) then turn your work around, put the yarn in back as you usually would in knitting, then knit those 8 stitches back to the beginning. My potato chip scarf reads like that. Knit 8, turn, put yarn in back, k8. What you are doing is knitting on one side of the scarf for 8 stitches, then turn work around and knit 8 stitches back to the beginning of the row (end). My patterns says knit 8, turn, k8, turn, k6, turn, k6, turn, k4, turn, k4, turn and knit across. K8, turn, k3, etc....You are working a series of three rows of 8, 6, 4, knit across, then repeat the process again...it makes the work 'lopsidded" thus making the scarf curly! See. clear as mud! I couldn't figure it out either. Had to get someone to SHOW me...and I'm not from Missouri! :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nothing happens to those stitches. They sit there and wait for you to knit the 8, turn, knit the 8 back to the end, then knit the next set maybe 6 as in my patter, turn, k6, turn, then k4 et. when you knit and turn the series of 8, 6, 4, you knit across to the other end, thus putting you at the beginning of that side of the scarf. I could not understand it either, ad to get someone to show me. When you figure it out with these crazy explanations you will feel like, "Why did I make that so hard?" Are you knitting a potato chip scarf....one of those long spiral things? I've made 6 and I've got one still on my needles! You can do it! Take is one step at a time. You will figure it out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey girls! That's a better explanation than mine. You are turning your work in a row....thanks...I could not figure out how to explain that. This is a neat scarf. Every time I wear mine, or take mine knitting at the doctor's office etc. women always have to come look and see what's going on. It's a really easy scarf to knit and so funky! I figured out that you are knitting one side, then the other thus making it lopsidded and that makes it curl! You will love your new scarf! Post it Claire. Thaks for sharing the new explanation! :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I hope to see your scarf when you finish. I didn't use markers. If you forget which 'set' you are on just even out your stitches on you needle and you will see a 'blank' space between the sets...like a missing stitch. 8, then a couple of spaces, then six, etc. While you are knitting this stop and look at the stitches on the needle...do you see those little 'empty' spaces? That's how I kept up with where I was in the pattern when I had to put it down for a while. Mostly though I always knitted to the other end and was ready to start with the k8. That way I was able to start knitting with the k8 every time. Just one of my little reminders to self. We all have our little self help things...glad you are enjoying this pattern.

·
Registered
56 Posts
An easy way to get the curly scarf here in Australia we have a special yarn now it's called Elicia ( from Lincraft ) It's rather like knitting with fish net stockings but the end result is easy knitting and a very curly fully frilled scarf ) All in plain knitting with only five stitches per row ) great for this not so competent knitter . Slow knitting mine isn't finished yet but it soon will be

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just watched the video. Thanks for sending the link! That is fascinating! Never heard of that yarn. There are so many interesting techniques out there!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
When I started knitting my mother taught me one thing, NEVER look ahead. Just follow each step and the pattern will fall into place. It's difficult to imagine what will be happening but eventually when you get to that point, it will all fall into place and you will say, "OH, that was so easy!" Just follow the directions and you will see what happens to the rest of the stitches.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Lulubelle, that is exactly what I find. However, I read the pattern about 4 times through and try to picture the process. Then when I pick up my needles and yarn I only go step by step. When I get to the place in the pattern that I just couldn't picture in my mind, it just rolls off the needles. This has been my method since the start.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lulubelle said:
When I started knitting my mother taught me one thing, NEVER look ahead. Just follow each step and the pattern will fall into place. It's difficult to imagine what will be happening but eventually when you get to that point, it will all fall into place and you will say, "OH, that was so easy!" Just follow the directions and you will see what happens to the rest of the stitches.
I am a relatively new knitter, and I don't understand directions lots of times. In this era of YouTube, I can SEE it done, and it makes all the difference.

I live in a rural area, with no knitting stores or experts to acquire in person guidance. So YouTube and this forum have been truly amazing for me!

·
Registered
179 Posts
It means that you stop knitting at the point turn you work around and move the yarn to the back between the needles and then continue to knit for the specified times. It happens when knitting socks frequently and any time you are working only partially across a row like for shaping of shoulders, etc. Hope this helps.
joyce aka sockteacher

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Claire, When you knit 8, you then turn to knit on those 8 sts,leaving the rest of the sts on your left hand needle, it is very easy to do, hope this has helped you in some way, if I can help you in any way, Please feel free to ask ,I will be only to pleased to help you out with any knitting problems you may have, good luck and best wishes Edna

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom