Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'm making a "prayer" shawl right now for a friend who starts 6 weeks of radiation treatments next week. Although neither of us is particularly 'religious' I am knitting beautiful thoughts and 'prayers' for speedy recovery into the shawl. When she wears it she will know that she is loved and that the warmth of my thoughts and good wishes will be wrapped around her.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
There are several types of blessings for prayer shawls. The major one being for good health and wellness. But you can also make them for someone looking for a good job for instance things like that. The link the lady give you above should tell you all about them. But remember to never work on your prayer shawl while you are in a negative mood as you put that negativity into the prayer shawl. Good thoughts is what is so powerful. The love you have while creating your shawl goes into it and makes it special and creates the gift that they receiver is meant to have. Also it helps to have it blessed for the intended.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I belong to a prayer shawl ministry. We get together and knit or crochet shawls. We pray before we start and with each finished shawl, we attach a gift card with a prayer and we also pray over those finished shawls. They are given to people who are ill to help to keep them warm while they pray.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's terrific. I'm looking for a group in north Jersey where i LIVE.l I made one for myself -- I am healing from PTSD, Fibromyalgia, depression. Then a dear friend was diagnosed with breast cancer, I prayed for a long time over the shawl. I knew it was meant for her. She told me that it made a big difference and she took it to every chemo and radiation treatment. While it is better to make the shawl for the recipient, sometimes GOD has other plans. I need to remind myself that God gave us two ears and one mouth and sometimes I need to be silent and listen.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have made shawls for a number of purposes. What others said is right on. I knit or crochet. I pray over it and see the shawl as having a prayer and wish in each stitch, it is truly a ministry. Right now I am making two -- one for a friend who was just diagnosed with colon cancer and the other for his wife. It is slow going because I am not in a good spiritual place. I'll be going on retreat for 3 days next month. 40 hours of being silent and being with God, much will get done during that time and after it, Prayers for those who take on this ministry!

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
The tradition goes all the way back to Biblical times. The book of Acts records that they took aprons (outer garments) or pieces of clothing that had been worn and prayed over and sent them to loved ones who were sick or needed deliverance and they received their answers to prayer.

Act 19:11 ¶ And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul:

Act 19:12 So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I know nothing represents my Mother's love like the scarves and blankets she made for us. Now that she has passed they are the greatest comfort and allow us to wrap up in the essence of her presence and warmth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom