Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting some help with a crochet granny square blanket. Im used to crocheting animals & this is my first blanket. I have got as far as the magic circle & attempted round 1 but keeps looking wrong. Can someone please help?

Newspaper Publication Gesture Font Material property

Window Textile Sleeve Wood Flooring

Registered
When you first start with the magic circle it will look loose and sloppy. After you get the first round done and pull the magic circle ti tighten the circle it will look different.
The other thought I had is that most patterns using the magic circle have a foundation round of sc or dc that hold the shape of the magic circle. This pattern does not.

Super Moderator
When you first start with the magic circle it will look loose and sloppy. After you get the first round done and pull the magic circle ti tighten the circle it will look different.
The other thought I had is that most patterns using the magic circle have a foundation round of sc or dc that hold the shape of the magic circle. This pattern does not.
I don't use the chain when I start a magic circle, just make the circle with the yarn over my fingers and start with the first row after the chain.

Registered
I did row 1 and am attaching photo - not sure what size hook or yarn it calls for, but I used a worsted weight yarn - 4 and a 4.0 mm hook and tried to get a close up of it, it tends to curl, but I think it will straighten out as you do more rows
Art Magenta Electric blue Woolen Pattern

Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
Were I doing it, I would use a much larger hook with that yarn.

Question: You鈥檙e in the UK. The pattern speaks of trebles. Are you doing UK trebles or US trebles? I believe they鈥檙e supposed to be UK trebles.
Font Handwriting Number Screenshot Rectangle

Registered
I did the US treble, the pattern as shown does not indicate where it was written UK or US, and I do not know where she is located to make that determination, if it is UK - it would be a dc in US and would not curl as it is doing, I just quickly did a sample to give her an idea of what it might look like for the first row. Indicating three of the stitches with spaces in between with doing the stitches directly into the magic circle.

Super Moderator
I did the US treble, the pattern as shown does not indicate where it was written UK or US, and I do not know where she is located to make that determination, if it is UK - it would be a dc in US and would not curl as it is doing, I just quickly did a sample to give her an idea of what it might look like for the first row. Indicating three of the stitches with spaces in between with doing the stitches directly into the magic circle.
Most such blankets are worked in US dc/UK tr.
Brown Textile Beige Woolen Pattern

It looks like that from the photo.

Registered
I just rechecked pattern, since the first ch 5 is for a treble with ch 2, I think it is in UK terminology since in the US it is usually a ch 3 to represent a dc.
so I redid the sample and looks better View attachment 1277074
Thanks for the photo. To me it looks like you just need to work another round. Same as J-J I thought it might be UK tc and with this photo think it definitely uses UK terminology. One thing you can check is does it have any sc in it? I can't say with certainty but I think sc is not used in UK terms. If you share the name of the publication it's from someone might know or be able to find out where it was published.

Super Moderator

Registered

Super Moderator
And wow, how is this a granny square??!!? I have a very narrow old-fashioned definition or thought process in my head for that term/pattern. Semantics? Regional bias? S t r e t c h those brain cells, self!
It is a variation on the basic granny.
There are over six thousand (free) listed on Ravelry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top Bottom