Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/wavy

I've been flicking through ravelry looking for inspiration. I found this interesting pattern and have been trying to work out how many sts I would need to increase by to make it a lapgan size,using chunky and 6.5 mm.I went through all the pages of notes but none were about doing this.( Maybe there's a reason for that ! ) I was thinking 84 or 90 would work but still keep the wavy effect ? I've given myself a brain-ache over what is probably very simple to work out......????
It's been a long day is my excuse. Lol.
Thanks for any help. ????

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The pattern repeat is multiples of 6 so you can add as many multiples of 6 as you like. It starts with 42 which means you have 7 repeats. So the next amount would be 49. Just add in increments of 6.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doriseve said:
The pattern repeat is multiples of 6 so you can add as many multiples of 6 as you like. It starts with 42 which means you have 7 repeats. So the next amount would be 49. Just add in increments of 6.
That's what I thought, but for some reason the different rows were throwing me ! Having some 'duh' moments today for some reason. Why do the simplest things become the hardest ?? Lol.
Thanks for your help. ????

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
What's your gauge with your given yarn and needle... stitches per inch. Then, how wide do you want it?

I'm going to guess 3 for example sake. so for every pattern repeat you'll get 2 inches. If you want it to be 44 inches wide then 44 x 3 = 132 stitches to cast on... which is 22 repeats of 6 stitches.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
knit4ES said:
What's your gauge with your given yarn and needle... stitches per inch. Then, how wide do you want it?

I'm going to guess 3 for example sake. so for every pattern repeat you'll get 2 inches. If you want it to be 44 inches wide then 44 x 3 = 132 stitches to cast on... which is 22 repeats of 6 stitches.
Hubby and I have done the maths and worked out that 114sts will give me about 28 ins, as I only want a small lapgan. I don't know why this pattern took me so long to work it out. ????

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Great... look forward to seeing it. 28 inches is smaller than a lot of baby blankets.... but if that works for you, super. I look forward to seeing your lapghan.
that is about 4 stitches per inch .... seems like a lot of stitches per inch for chunky.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
knit4ES said:
Great... look forward to seeing it. 28 inches is smaller than a lot of baby blankets.... but if that works for you, super. I look forward to seeing your lapghan.
that is about 4 stitches per inch .... seems like a lot of stitches per inch for chunky.
On reflection I will probably make it a bit wider . I've done a few rows to see how it knits up. I get 4 to 5 sts per inch. It's a new to me wool and is very soft. ????
Thanks for all your help. ????

Attachments

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
That yarn is nice... subtle tonal variations in it?
At 4.5 stitches per inch, and if you wanted 36 inches wide, and a 6 stitch repeat, you'd want to cast on 162 stitches.

Looking forward to seeing it finished ... in progress would be good too...

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
knit4ES said:
That yarn is nice... subtle tonal variations in it?
At 4.5 stitches per inch, and if you wanted 36 inches wide, and a 6 stitch repeat, you'd want to cast on 162 stitches.

Looking forward to seeing it finished ... in progress would be good too...
It's very pretty yarn but subtle like you say. I did complete one 44 row repeat only for hubby to say ' I'm not too keen on the pattern now that I can see it ', which as its going to be for him, seems fair enough. So I smiled very sweetly but muttered to myself as I frogged it all !!! Now begins another search to find something he does like...... ????

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Hmm.... and he's still alive!! Maybe choose a few stitch patterns you'd be willing to do and ask him to choose 2 or 3 or those
Then do 6" to 8" swatches in that yarn and those (you don't have to cut it... so you can easily reuse it) .... and not more than 30 rows!!!!! probably less.

I do think it is lovely yarn ... and he'll enjoy it, once it's done....

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Another thought... since it's a lapghan... one of the things I like about the original stitch pattern is that it is reversible... The other side will be visible as it gets used....
so looking for stitch patterns that are attractive on both sides, if not exactly the same, would be good... like basket weaves or welt or chevrons... you get the idea

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
knit4ES said:
Another thought... since it's a lapghan... one of the things I like about the original stitch pattern is that it is reversible... The other side will be visible as it gets used....
so looking for stitch patterns that are attractive on both sides, if not exactly the same, would be good... like basket weaves or welt or chevrons... you get the idea
You and I are thinking on the same lines. ????????

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
knit4ES said:
Hmm.... and he's still alive!! Maybe choose a few stitch patterns you'd be willing to do and ask him to choose 2 or 3 or those
Then do 6" to 8" swatches in that yarn and those (you don't have to cut it... so you can easily reuse it) .... and not more than 30 rows!!!!! probably less.

I do think it is lovely yarn ... and he'll enjoy it, once it's done....
Lol. I think he should sit on the naughty step, ????

Swatching would save me this trouble again. ????

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update so far.... Hubby couldn't find a pattern he liked, the sts were getting ' lost ' in the yarn. So I decided to make a topdown simple shawl. ( I know men don't usually wear them, but it's only for him to use overnight when he is a bit chilly reading if he can't sleep !) The yarn overs give a little interest and a nice swirl effect. This is the furthest I've got in any pattern using this yarn, so hopefully we have cracked it ! ????

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom