Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a booklet from wal-mart about Tunisian crochet im trying to make a beanie for my sister my sister is going true some rough time she is going true cemo and i would like to send some to cheer her up the pattern goes with crochet hook ch 5 sc in horizontal bar of second ch from hook ch 1 turn sc in back loop only of each sc acrosswith Tunisian hook and working in ends of rows along the edge of band pick up 75 sts evenly spaced across thank you in advance for anybody's help god bless

·
Registered
9,877 Posts
You might google utube tunisan crochet and look through the videos to find one that can help you- I have never tried tunisan crochet so I can't help you. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
The ch 5 is the horizontal band for the beanie, I think you left out something. I don't have the booklet here but I have made many caps and beanies. By making 1 sc in the back loop of each of the 5 chains you are making a ribbing. At the end of the 5 sc, ch 1 turn and sc in the back loop again, keep doing this till the band fits around your head or as long as your pattern says, then pick up 75 sts across the band. You can count the ends of the rows of 5 sc and see how many you have then pick up more or less to make 75. Because you are using the Tunisian crochet hook you will do that kind of crocheting to finish the beanie.
Follow your instructions for the main part of your cap now and if you need more help, let us know. When I am out with the car I will see if our Walmart has that pattern or let me know if it is a Red Heart or Lion Brand pattern, they have free patterns or is it in a book for tunisian crocheting?

Carol J.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Monika said:
i bought a booklet from wal-mart about Tunisian crochet im trying to make a beanie for my sister my sister is going true some rough time she is going true cemo and i would like to send some to cheer her up the pattern goes with crochet hook ch 5 sc in horizontal bar of second ch from hook ch 1 turn sc in back loop only of each sc acrosswith Tunisian hook and working in ends of rows along the edge of band pick up 75 sts evenly spaced across thank you in advance for anybody's help god bless
As suggested, have a look at the You Tube video on Tunisian Crochet. Basically with tunisian simple stitch you start with a chain, say 15 or however long, then the first row is picking up a stitch in each chain, until you have say 15 stitches on the hook. Then you crochet them back off the hook, like you would in normal crochet. Once you see the video you will understand. It does make a lovely fabric. When you pick up a stitch you crochet into the vertical bar, not the horizontal bar. It will be a lovely warm hat for her. We have a Tunisan expert on here so he might help you better.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
What is the name of the book you bought and if it has a number on the cover, let us know that too. I will go to our Walmart and see if I can find that book to better help you.

Carol J.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Monika-I went to WAlmart today and found the pattern you are using. The ch 5 which you work in the back loop over the ch 5 is the headband, you repeat this for 76 rows. Then you pick up a loop from the side of the strip, 75 sts and follow the directions for the rest of the cap using the Tunisian hook. The stitch used makes it look like it was knitted. I didn't buy the book but I did see it and what you said matched.
Hope this helps you.

Carol J.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom