Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html
been using this pattern for a long time now how big it is depends a lot on the type of yarn you use. like if i knit this in cotton i have to overlap the ends and sew them up still get a nice little hole for the pony tail. i made one two years ago and now everyone wants one. so i keep making them.

what i would like to do is figure out how to convert it to the machine and knit them up that way. anyone good at converting patterns?
if the number of cast on stitches is a hundred the pattern still wil work out i think. my bed only has a hundred needles :cool:

·
Registered
15,968 Posts
Could it be done length-wise? maybe with a garter bar? just a thought as havent used a garter bar. Maybe someone else can come up with a better solution.
Just read pattern properly, didnt realise there were short rows, might give it a try myself as I have long hair.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chrissy said:
Could it be done length-wise? maybe with a garter bar? just a thought as havent used a garter bar. Maybe someone else can come up with a better solution.
Just read pattern properly, didnt realise there were short rows, might give it a try myself as I have long hair.
yep that is what is messing me up it his ribbed with short rows. when it is done it looks like an Egyptian eye.
if you get it to work please post the results and pattern.

i was thinking that i could probably reform the stitches up to the short row and then after the short row when the other half is knit reform those to ribbing. not sure if it would work or if there might be an easier way.
i don't have a ribber so i have to figure out how to do it on a flat bed.

oh it is an awesome hat/thingy!

·
Registered
15,968 Posts
I am making one now, and wondered if the lady who designed the pattern, allows them to be sold? Got a lot of long haired girls within family and friends.
I think they will be very popular.

·
Registered
403 Posts
In the absence of a ribber I wonder if a needle-out tuck stitch, possibly 3 in 1 out, would work. Might have to be some slight adjustment to the short row arrangements but that would be reasonably simple. It would certainly speed up the production line.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chrissy said:
I am making one now, and wondered if the lady who designed the pattern, allows them to be sold? Got a lot of long haired girls within family and friends.
actually the pattern is copy written and i tried to get a hold of her to see if i could sell them but she never answered the email.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elis said:
In the absence of a ribber I wonder if a needle-out tuck stitch, possibly 3 in 1 out, would work. Might have to be some slight adjustment to the short row arrangements but that would be reasonably simple. It would certainly speed up the production line.
how would you write that pattern out? not sure if the tuck would work though.

·
Registered
15,968 Posts
brinawitch said:
Chrissy said:
actually the pattern is copy written and i tried to get a hold of her to see if i could sell them but she never answered the email.
Ok, thanks for that, will have to "tweek" them a bit then ;-) or maybe not, read all the 'smallprint' does state not to sell them :cry:
Will just have to make as gifts.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Brinawitch - the only difference would be a variation of one stitch when you push your needles to hold for the short rows. To avoid too large holes you'd need to work one stitch more or one less if the turn point came at a needle out. Since you put the needles in hold in pattern you would bring them back in pattern, and being "tuck" you've the right side facing you to keep you correct. I haven't knitted a whole item but a short trial seems to work all right.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elis said:
Brinawitch - the only difference would be a variation of one stitch when you push your needles to hold for the short rows. To avoid too large holes you'd need to work one stitch more or one less if the turn point came at a needle out. Since you put the needles in hold in pattern you would bring them back in pattern, and being "tuck" you've the right side facing you to keep you correct. I haven't knitted a whole item but a short trial seems to work all right.
thank you for the reply. this sounds very strait forward. just having problems understanding what you mean by work one stitch more or less?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chrissy said:
brinawitch said:
Chrissy said:
Ok, thanks for that, will have to "tweek" them a bit then ;-) or maybe not, read all the 'smallprint' does state not to sell them :cry:
Will just have to make as gifts.
did you make one? you got a picture to share would love to see the version you came up with :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
brinawitch said:
Elis said:
thank you for the reply. this sounds very strait forward. just having problems understanding what you mean by work one stitch more or less?
As you work the knitting there will be places where the unwrapped turn falls where a needle is already out of use. If you turn at that point you will get a double size hole, so move the turn point across one more or one less stitch to avoid this - if you knit the pattern, you'll see exactly the position.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm not really a hand knitter but if I understand the directions correctly you do some slipped sts. then work a few more sts to make the end that has the button/button hole on it. How do you do shortrows on the machine if the end sts are still getting knit? I mean this is the way I see it, say you have 20 sts, left 5 knit, next 5 hold, next 10 knit. Is that right? I've done short rowing before for socks etc. but it was always the end ndls and not in the middle of the work.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LeAnn said:
I'm not really a hand knitter but if I understand the directions correctly you do some slipped sts. then work a few more sts to make the end that has the button/button hole on it. How do you do shortrows on the machine if the end sts are still getting knit? I mean this is the way I see it, say you have 20 sts, left 5 knit, next 5 hold, next 10 knit. Is that right? I've done short rowing before for socks etc. but it was always the end ndls and not in the middle of the work.
actually this is a lot like a big sock in how it is short rowed. usually looks like an eye when it is done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom