Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please someone tell me which part of the yarn ball I use to begin knitting on this loom??
the center pull string or the last end of the string that was tucked in?>
it's the first time i do this, please tell me which string.(yarn ball)
thank-you

God Bless

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Well, that shows how different we knitters are and they're no "wrong" way to do it! I always start from a center pull rather than the outside :) Just use the yarn in whatever way you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
239 Posts
To missvix61: Very interested in your reply. Can you explain to me the advantages of starting from the inside? I've done it in the past but find that I pull out yards of yarn trying to find the end bit! Thanks.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
When you pull from the middle of a skein the yarn doesn't wander all over the room. When you pull, the yarn pulls easily. When you pull from the outside of the skein, you are constantly flipping the skein over and over.

The bottomline is it's just easier to work with.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
If you pull from the center of the skein the yarn can be put in a bag to keep it clean while you work it.

If you take the yarn from the outside you have to constantly turn it over as you work.

I have thought about putting it on a paper towel holder so it will spin while I work, and I think you can buy a turntable type device to put the yarn on and use it that way.

Sometimes the center of the skein is a big mess, and you end up unraveling a bunch of it.

I guess you have to decide for yourself which way to go, it doesn't really matter, there is no right or wrong way, do what is easiest for you!

Lois

·
Registered
14,208 Posts
missvix61 said:
Well, that shows how different we knitters are and they're no "wrong" way to do it! I always start from a center pull rather than the outside :) Just use the yarn in whatever way you feel comfortable with.
I agree Missvix..just easier to keep the yarn from twisting and rolling...yes ..sometimes the inside is a mess...just keep digging ..you will find center pull.
Also it is a matter of what you are used to..so no wrong or right way...just as you choose.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I always pull from the center. You have to pull out enough to get it flowing well,and sometime I stand the yarn in a vase to hold it upright. If you have a yarn winder it is better to rewind then pull from the center. The yarn pulls more easily.
Mildred

·
Registered
211 Posts
I prefer the center pull. Yes, there are times when a big "glob" will come out, but over all, for me, is much easier.

When I'm using a very fine yarn as an accent to my shawls I pull from outside, as the yarn is so fine it's impossible to find the center pull.

You choose. Whatever is easier for you. Experimentation is the key

Happy knitting or crocheting. (-:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I pull from the center; I use yarn bras (bought at upscale knit shops). They fit over the skein but not tightly. When I have to pull a lot of yarn out I tell myself I will knit as long as it takes to work all the yarn pulled out. Sometimes it is a little bit, sometimes not.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Speaking of tangled centers, it seems to me that they are occcuring more often these days than not. It does not seem to matter how expensive or inexpensive the yarn. I feel as if I spend almost as much time untangling and rewinding skeins as I do knitting. However, I do use the yarn pulled from the center for the various reasons already given and besides, having the ball flipping all over the place is a temptation my cat just cannot resist.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
If I'm going to work from the outside strand, I put a fairly large plastic bag over the skein then slide a rubber band around the opening to keep the skein in the bag. That way the skein is free to turn around in the bag but doesn't roam around the room or get dirty.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not sure this is a solution but if the center pull yarn is very tangled. I just start on the outside and rewind. Because of the yarn twist I try to always knit from the same direction on the ball. I just put the rewound ball in a large baggie so it can twist and turn all it wants.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I work in a yarn shop and have found that there is no standard method of winding. Every manufacturer is different. In fact, some had no way of using an end from the middle of the ball. When I wind a skein for a customer, I make sure there are two ends, so the user can choose. I also prefer to use the method suggested by Kathie, if using the outside strand.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I always pull from the center. If it is a small ball I put it in a ziplock bag,it keeps it clean and keeps it from unraveling. sometimes it does come out in a mess. lately i have noticed moreso.. but I still do it. If you do it from the outside it is a flip-floppy mess. My opinion. And it is hard to bag it.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
missblu said:
I prefer the center pull. Yes, there are times when a big "glob" will come out, but over all, for me, is much easier.... (-:
I heard that called "yarn vomit" by someone. I laughed out loud because that's kinda what it is. You stick your finger down the throat and out comes the "yarn vomit". Sorry if this is gross, but i found it very appropriately descriptive. LOL

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Another reason to pull from the center is that the yarn gets stretched when wound. This may cause your finished product to shrink the first time it's washed. Pulling from the center eases the tension in the wound yarn. Btw, you can easily wind your own center pull ball by leaving a tail and starting to wind over your thumb. As you take out your thumb and continue to wind the ball, leave the original end poking out. This will also give you another end if at any point you need a few inches of that yarn for something.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom