Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrrrggghhhh!!
The ribbing on the bottom of the Big Guy's sweater looks awful to me. I think it would be better to use a hem.
Couldn't find a vid of "backwards raveling" on Utube.
Help!

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
You can't unravel backwards. There is a solution however, if you really think the ribbing is unacceptable. First thread a yarn needle with thinner, contrasting yarn. Then 'thread' this 'waste yarn' through a row of stitches just above the ribbing. This is like putting in a 'lifeline'. (there are lifeline videos on youtube) You are saving what becomes your 'live' stitches to knit DOWN from, to reknit or replace the ribbing. Once you have picked up all your stitches (count to make sure, andalways pick up the same side of the stitch. Your stitch looks like a V always pick up the right side of the V across the row. Check that you have stayed in the same row all the way across.) Now clip the threads in the row below where your 'lifeline' is. Pick out all the little ends of yarn. Put all your 'live' stitches on your working needles. Now you are ready to reknit the ribbing or replace with a different bottom.

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
Linda6885, that is the best directions to do this that I have seen. I do this but always make it sound so hard.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Linda. That was what I was afraid of. I'd hoped someone knew how to "unravel backwards", but I guess it can't be done, at least not for 3" of ribbing anyway.
This sweater is getting on my nerves. I'm going to
frog it and forget it for a while.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Okay, I am confused. Isn't unraveling backwards, just frogging? If not, what is it?

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
No. She is finished with the sweater but wants to reknit the ribbing at the bottom. If your cast on edge is at the bottom and you knit UP, You can unravel DOWN to the cast on edge, but you can not unravel UP from the cast on edge

bsaito said:
Okay, I am confused. Isn't unraveling backwards, just frogging? If not, what is it?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I've cut off sleeve cuffs by clipping a strand of yarn, pulling out the row, picking up fewer stitches, and knitting then the cuff down. The original sleeve was knitted up from the cuff.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Linda6885 said:
You can't unravel backwards. There is a solution however, if you really think the ribbing is unacceptable. First thread a yarn needle with thinner, contrasting yarn. Then 'thread' this 'waste yarn' through a row of stitches just above the ribbing. This is like putting in a 'lifeline'. (there are lifeline videos on youtube) You are saving what becomes your 'live' stitches to knit DOWN from, to reknit or replace the ribbing. Once you have picked up all your stitches (count to make sure, andalways pick up the same side of the stitch. Your stitch looks like a V always pick up the right side of the V across the row. Check that you have stayed in the same row all the way across.) Now clip the threads in the row below where your 'lifeline' is. Pick out all the little ends of yarn. Put all your 'live' stitches on your working needles. Now you are ready to reknit the ribbing or replace with a different bottom.
I just ran across your post and this is why I joined KP. I never knew you could fix the place where you started. Your advice is great. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Thanks MargaretA. Glad I could help. You can use this same technique to lengthen sleeves, or put a different neckline in, or even reknit the foot part of socks.

MargaretA said:
Linda6885 said:
I just ran across your post and this is why I joined KP. I never knew you could fix the place where you started. Your advice is great. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn't KP wonderful?!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom