Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a pattern from Patternworks and bought the Plymouth Patches yarn which the pattern called for. I contacted Plymouth and it's discontinued. Does anyone know if it's available in bulk or if there is a comparable yarn? This one had thick, thin, sort of an eyelash, and then no eyelash running throughout in alternating pattern.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
I found it on estsy.com but all was sold. Plymoth doesn't even list it so it must have been discontinued for awhile already. I have never seen any other yarn like it. You might search ebay for it.
It is a super bulky yarn. I suppose you could use another bulky and add a ribbon and/or eylash yarn to use with it.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
It sounds a little like Red Heart Changes yarn, which is a worsted weight. If the original yarn is a worsted weight, you might want to consider this.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Bebekka-I also bought a pattern from patternworks that called for Patches yarn, Bought the yarn but haven.t knit the ruana yet. Sometime later I bought two bags of yarn called Blossom and found the gauge is the same for both yarns. The yarns are somewhat similar, the blosson a bit "fuzzier" than the Patches.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
bebekke-Oops, sorry. Would have been nice if I had given you all the info. The yarn is called Blossom Print by Trendsetter. According to Yarndex (my "all things yarn" info place on the internet) it is still being produced. If you go to Yarndex and enter Blossom Print under Yarn Name, It will bring it up and you can see a photo of it. I have a bag of black and one of white. Enough to make two more of that pattern. My niece wants one in the black and my sister wants one in the white. I will be busy knitting ruanas very soon. Hope this helped!

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
bebekka-My pleasure. Good luck on the "yarn hunt". Hope you find just the perfect one. I really should knit that pattern up in the Patches I bought for it-while I'm knitting the other two out of the Blossom. It's been sitting in one of my stash totes just waiting for me to get busy. I just keep forgetting about it. The Patches I got is the purple mix which I think is the same color of the model on the pattern. I'm glad to hear the one you made did so well at the auction.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that was the same color I bought, too. I bought the pattern and the yarn from Patternworks years ago.

I was thinking about this yarn might work, too:
http://www.trendsetteryarns.com/rendezvousspecs.asp

It is the same color combination (the purples) as what I had in Plymouth Patches and it seems to have a similar texture.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
bebekks-Yeah, I ALWAYS say that-I'm not going to buy anymore yarn until I use up a bunch of my stash. Who am I fooling? I have 39 large Rubbermaid totes full of beautiful yarn and I still keep buying. Every month I get the Jimmy Beans Wool newsletter with the new Lorna's Laces Limited edition colorway and I'm a goner! I should just have SHIP IT stamped on my forehead! Let me know how the ruana turns out. This may be a new yarn for me to not buy.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
bebekka-I have to admit, I love having such a big selection and so many knitting patterns. I'm a lousy night sleeper-So many years of working graveyard. Lots of times I'll wake up in the middle of the night, wide awake and no project on my knitting needles. I'll get up, hit my computer and find something I'd like to make. Then, I "go shopping" through my yarn for a good one to use for the project (I keep a notebook that lists all the yarn in each tote). Since there aren't any yarn stores open at that time, I still have plenty of options. I'll sit down with my new knitting project, put on the music on my iPod, and get happy knitting. Helps me keep my sanity when I don't want to sit in front of the tv. It relaxes me enough to where I can usually go back to sleep in an hour or so. And I must admit, I do like yarn shopping at home so much more!!!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Denise, I will have to follow your lead. I find I get sidetracked too easily with other projects and then I just can't get started. I have begun projects and instead of waiting for the close to final outcome or half way point, I'll rip it out because it is not "perfect."

BTW, here is a photo I located on my computer of the Rwana top that I did with the Plymouth Patches that I donated for the charity auction I mentioned.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom