Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that knitting the Portuguese way, is better for your hands. I would like to know, if you know about it. My wrist hurts whether I crochet or knit. Any suggestions is appreciated

Thank you,

Eva

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Yes, I studied this Portugese method, too while trying to convert from English to the Continental method knitting. There's even GEEK knitting! LOL!!

Most fast knitters have little movement in their arms and fingers which would cause less tension over the body parts. I'm still studying which method to use and am thinking the Eastern continental method may be for me! LOL!!

Donna Rae

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have taken Andrea's class (http://andreawongknits.com/) and found it very similar to continental style. I have rhumatoid and osteo arthritis and knit Russian style (http://headwaterwool.com/hw_russian_knitting_technique.aspx). It is the least hand movement of any style I have found during my years of searching to find out about the way I knit (Grandma taught me). Instructors who watched me said it wouldn't work and I would show them completed items. They looked at me at the items and the general consensis was it worked but no one could tell me what I was doing or how. Headwater wool has great videos and an easy to follow instruction book. Juli in Central PA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Eva, The Portuguese way is definetly easier on your arms and wrists - I have Parkinson's Disease and arthritis.
It is a little slow go until you master it but if you stick to it you will make up the time lost in learning as it is much, much faster. You can go to andreawongknits.com to read a little about it. She also has good, easy to define method on DVD. She has 3 CD's, but the first 2 are very definitive with 3rd one being for more advanced lessons such as cable, socks etc. These are $20 each. She has taught her classes all over the US. I am very satisfied with the CD's, I put them into my laptop when I need to see the sts. again. Good luck. DeeMae

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Knitting Paradise Newsletter said:
I heard that knitting the Portuguese way, is better for your hands. I would like to know, if you know about it. My wrist hurts whether I crochet or knit. Any suggestions is appreciated
Thank you, Eva
If your wrist hurts, it may be tendonitis and U will have to stop knitting entirely until the tendons heal. If you keep knitting with tendonitis, it just gets worse. Aspirin may help or U may need to see an orthopedic doctor.
Portugese Knitting:
You put the yarn around the back of your neck and over the hand with the WORKING NEEDLE. U can thread the yarn thru your fingers ending between the nail and first knuckle of your index finger. The sts are kept up at the tip of the needles, no more than about 1/4 inch from the end. The yarn is flicked with the index finger over the working ndl.
Because the yarn goes around the back of the neck, the hands do not have to work as hard to maintain tension.
I find that my sts are much tighter this way and there is almost no strain on my hands and wrists to aggravate the arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Relaxing and limiting knitting sessions to half an hour at a time with at least an hour in between has also helped, as has using warm soaks [knit half an hour, then GO DO THE DISHES] and horse liniment. Yes, HORSE liniment. It's made by a co. called MINARDS. U can get it online, I think. My cousin gets it for me but I don't know where and he doesn't have a computer or a cell phone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom