Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to make a potato chip scarf on a loom? I am currently knitting one, but I knit very slowly and wondered if there is any way it could be done on a loom?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Google 'potato chip scarf' and you'll see oodles! There is 'ribbon' yarn that you catch only the edge of and it ruffles automatically, all the way to patts which ruffle through short-rowing. This is probably the type you're referring to; yes you can do this on a loom, just by short-rowing, if you understand that principle.

Possibly the machine knitting forum could give you direct help for pattern/st directions if you need them. But if you are working on one of the wood peg looms to do this, I (personally) would think that it would take about the same amount if time to loop the sts on a loom as it would on needles, if not more.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rkr said:
Google 'potato chip scarf' and you'll see oodles! There is 'ribbon' yarn that you catch only the edge of and it ruffles automatically, all the way to patts which ruffle through short-rowing. This is probably the type you're referring to; yes you can do this on a loom, just by short-rowing, if you understand that principle.

Possibly the machine knitting forum could give you direct help for pattern/st directions if you need them. But if you are working on one of the wood peg looms to do this, I (personally) would think that it would take about the same amount if time to loop the sts on a loom as it would on needles, if not more.
I am making a PC scarf now, just wondered if and how it could be done on a loom. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Hi baileysmom,
<<<this is probably the type you're referring to; yes you can do this on a loom, just by short-rowing, if you understand that principle.>>

What I meant to say is that if you are currently knitting on needles, you're probably short-rowing, at least that's how all of the results I've seen PC scarves were knit/accomplished. (You may have a different method.) So you'd wrap & turn on a wood-peg loom, just the same way that a person short-rowing on needles would, except it's done around pegs instead of on the needles.
The part that I thought would be more fiddly and slower than needle-knitting was actually manipulating the fiber around the pegs while tensioning it constantly and 'picking' the loops off with the implement of your choice.

Hope you understood that I wasn't putting it down; it's possible to do this and many youngsters and others get their start on looms like these. I still have the Penguin I learn to 'knit' I-cords on in the late 40s - one of the treasures in my vintage/antique needlework tool collection; same principle, just fewer pegs!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rkr said:
Hi baileysmom,
<<<this is probably the type you're referring to; yes you can do this on a loom, just by short-rowing, if you understand that principle.>>

What I meant to say is that if you are currently knitting on needles, you're probably short-rowing, at least that's how all of the results I've seen PC scarves were knit/accomplished. (You may have a different method.) So you'd wrap & turn on a wood-peg loom, just the same way that a person short-rowing on needles would, except it's done around pegs instead of on the needles.
The part that I thought would be more fiddly and slower than needle-knitting was actually manipulating the fiber around the pegs while tensioning it constantly and 'picking' the loops off with the implement of your choice.

Hope you understood that I wasn't putting it down; it's possible to do this and many youngsters and others get their start on looms like these. I still have the Penguin I learn to 'knit' I-cords on in the late 40s - one of the treasures in my vintage/antique needlework tool collection; same principle, just fewer pegs!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
baileysmom said:
rkr said:
Hi baileysmom,

No, no I understood, sorry if I seemed short, I was supposed to be working and just took a quick look. I do see your point, though. I love the look of the PC with the short rows, just wish I was faster, but it was my first project ever, other than a snowman and a coat for my daughter 30+ years ago. I'll get back to it after the holidays.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom