Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***just realized this was the wrong spot, have asked Admin to move it Non-Knitting. Apologies :C ***



Wow. Pride goeth before a fall. And here I used to think I was so meek and mild and Christian...

Well, I had come to a point several months ago where I hated my noisy neighbor with a passion. If anyone is of a mind to pray for me, that I will grow in love for my neighbor, I could really use the assist.

You see, he has 11 motorcycles and an old car. He is single. He gets home from work at 4 pm, and is in his garage almost right away, working and tuning and reving and making noises of all sorts. Every day. And all weekend. Once on Easter Sunday at 9:30 AM, I went over there in my pajamas to ask him nicely to tone it down! Another year, again on Easter, he and a friend were racing up and down the road again and again (trying out tuneups?) just as we were sitting down to carve the ham. Today, I just heard him rev up, go out, and come back again at 7:30 AM this Saturday holiday morning. Thank God I was already out of bed, or I would have been fuming at having been woken up yet again.

I got the town involved three months ago, and he at least has stopped with the group tuneups. But spiritually, I think I'm missing the point: it's not my right to judge him or what he does with his time. Even more difficult: according to the Bible, I'm supposed to love my neighbor, according to the Bible, esp. when it's NOT easy.

" But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48"

Still, it's been 7 long years of him destroying the peace. Of ruining the peace and quiet I felt I was craving to heal in after family deaths, 9-11, and divorce. I've actually started to hate my stressful life here in the house I had such hopes for: my grandfather's 1795 colonial in what used to be countryside, with barns and apple orchards, which should have been a haven, has been anything but.

So since KP'ers are so generous with their time & energy, if anyone out there can spare a prayer for me, I'd appreciate it. I seem to be in some sort of mental torture these days.

And if you would pray for my neighbor too, that he would experience the fullness of Life's joys, & real Love (of humans not mechanics), and be living Gods's plan for him? (Which, personally, I hope involves a lot of toddlers: a wife and kids would put an end to the endless tinkering in his garage real fast, but then, I don't know what's best for my neighbor, or for myself, the latter being painfully evident at the moment :C) It does seem sad to me that he's alone all the time and has nowhere to go on Holidays... He seems handsome enough: he's not a big tatooed biker type, just the opposite. He looks like an accountant...

This is long. Thank you for your patience, and letting me vent. As tears pour down my face, I guess I needed it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,935 Posts
Well, I really understand your pain ! And I'm praying for you and your neighbor already ! I did the right thing,- loved enemies and forgave them till it was physically impossible ! Then I moved to another place to live ! As much as we love enemies, we can't force them to do the right thing and to change their behavior to a common sense ! I love knitting, crocheting and classic music, gardening and dogs !I have a lot of friends and I go to church every time, when I'm not at my job . But I am divorced and live with two medium dogs, who never argue with me and never touch my yarn ! From the bottom of my heart I wish you peace and comfort, healing and somehow to find a solution, which will work for you ! Remember, that your health is the most important here ! I wish you a sunshine ! Fialka.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Its a pity our countries are not like Germany where even mowing the lawn on a Sunday is forbidden so people can have the day in peace. If all else fails find the man a woman so he can have little kids and she will shut the noise up. Honestly on a more serious note other than prayers being answered (if talking to him hasn't worked) I can't see change coming to be honest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
One Year for Lent, I chose to not avoid people I found difficult to be around. God is so good He sent all of them to me in that 40 days and I learned to look at them in a new light and get to know them. when you pray for him daily, God can change your heart. Take him a cake and make a deal with him for reasonable hours. After all that is his knitting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,217 Posts
I'm sorry but I have to agree with Kathy Capral on this one. I have read all about how this man next door has put you out and annoyed you over and over. Not once have I seen a christian attitude in opening your heart and looking deeper than the surface. Have you thought that perhaps this person has no family and nowhere to go on holidays or even someone who wishes him happy holidays? I am not saying that you have to invite him to Christmas dinner, but what could it hurt to make him a plate and take it over and give it to him and wish him Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? I am not saying that everything he is doing is without fault, but maybe, just maybe this man is reaching out to you in the only way he knows how. I would think about this, maybe one day something happens, like, perhaps you fall and can't get up? Would it not be better to have a neighbor who would come to your aid instead of having one that would stand and look at you and do nothing because of ill will that has built up over the years? Single people can be the best friends sometimes. If his bikes bother you, get a set of ear plugs that you can put in when you sleep. Sound proof your bedroom. I am sure in my lifetime I have done things that bother others and I know that others have done things that bother me, but do the christian thing and let it go and when you are asking for prayers for yourself and your neighbor, treat him like you would like to be treated. You may find that you have a great friend that you haven't met yet living right next door. =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,605 Posts
kaceykat said:
***just realized this was the wrong spot, have asked Admin to move it Non-Knitting. Apologies :C ***

Wow. Pride goeth before a fall. And here I used to think I was so meek and mild and Christian...

Well, I had come to a point several months ago where I hated my noisy neighbor with a passion. If anyone is of a mind to pray for me, that I will grow in love for my neighbor, I could really use the assist.

You see, he has 11 motorcycles and an old car. He is single. He gets home from work at 4 pm, and is in his garage almost right away, working and tuning and reving and making noises of all sorts. Every day. And all weekend. Once on Easter Sunday at 9:30 AM, I went over there in my pajamas to ask him nicely to tone it down! Another year, again on Easter, he and a friend were racing up and down the road again and again (trying out tuneups?) just as we were sitting down to carve the ham. Today, I just heard him rev up, go out, and come back again at 7:30 AM this Saturday holiday morning. Thank God I was already out of bed, or I would have been fuming at having been woken up yet again.

I got the town involved three months ago, and he at least has stopped with the group tuneups. But spiritually, I think I'm missing the point: it's not my right to judge him or what he does with his time. Even more difficult: according to the Bible, I'm supposed to love my neighbor, according to the Bible, esp. when it's NOT easy.

" But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48"

Still, it's been 7 long years of him destroying the peace. Of ruining the peace and quiet I felt I was craving to heal in after family deaths, 9-11, and divorce. I've actually started to hate my stressful life here in the house I had such hopes for: my grandfather's 1795 colonial in what used to be countryside, with barns and apple orchards, which should have been a haven, has been anything but.

So since KP'ers are so generous with their time & energy, if anyone out there can spare a prayer for me, I'd appreciate it. I seem to be in some sort of mental torture these days.

And if you would pray for my neighbor too, that he would experience the fullness of Life's joys, & real Love (of humans not mechanics), and be living Gods's plan for him? (Which, personally, I hope involves a lot of toddlers: a wife and kids would put an end to the endless tinkering in his garage real fast, but then, I don't know what's best for my neighbor, or for myself, the latter being painfully evident at the moment :C) It does seem sad to me that he's alone all the time and has nowhere to go on Holidays... He seems handsome enough: he's not a big tatooed biker type, just the opposite. He looks like an accountant...

This is long. Thank you for your patience, and letting me vent. As tears pour down my face, I guess I needed it...
I can understand how annoyed you were with all the noise -- but don't condemn the man just because he likes "mechanics" instead of humans. How do you know he doesn't like humans or has nowhere to go on holidays? Perhaps he is alone because he chooses to be. What is a "big tattooed biker type?" Some of the nicest people I know are big and tattooed and ride motorcycles. Why do you feel a wife and children would solve the problem? Marriage and children are not in God's plan for everyone.

I suggest you take a look at Matthew 7:1-5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,605 Posts
Ms. Tess said:
I'm sorry but I have to agree with Kathy Capral on this one. I have read all about how this man next door has put you out and annoyed you over and over. Not once have I seen a christian attitude in opening your heart and looking deeper than the surface. Have you thought that perhaps this person has no family and nowhere to go on holidays or even someone who wishes him happy holidays? I am not saying that you have to invite him to Christmas dinner, but what could it hurt to make him a plate and take it over and give it to him and wish him Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? I am not saying that everything he is doing is without fault, but maybe, just maybe this man is reaching out to you in the only way he knows how. I would think about this, maybe one day something happens, like, perhaps you fall and can't get up? Would it not be better to have a neighbor who would come to your aid instead of having one that would stand and look at you and do nothing because of ill will that has built up over the years? Single people can be the best friends sometimes. If his bikes bother you, get a set of ear plugs that you can put in when you sleep. Sound proof your bedroom. I am sure in my lifetime I have done things that bother others and I know that others have done things that bother me, but do the christian thing and let it go and when you are asking for prayers for yourself and your neighbor, treat him like you would like to be treated. You may find that you have a great friend that you haven't met yet living right next door. =)
Very well said, Ms. Tess!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,563 Posts
I understand totally. My neighbor comes home from the bars about 3am, reving his motorcycle, cursing to himself loudly about his day. I feel sorry for him, he doesn't seem happy at all.
He also has a sports car. One Saturday he was demonstrating to friends how loud his new speakers were, during the night the speakers and radio were stolen.
God works in mysterious ways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Tennessee.Gal said:
kaceykat said:
***just realized this was the wrong spot, have asked Admin to move it Non-Knitting. Apologies :C ***

Wow. Pride goeth before a fall. And here I used to think I was so meek and mild and Christian...

Well, I had come to a point several months ago where I hated my noisy neighbor with a passion. If anyone is of a mind to pray for me, that I will grow in love for my neighbor, I could really use the assist.

You see, he has 11 motorcycles and an old car. He is single. He gets home from work at 4 pm, and is in his garage almost right away, working and tuning and reving and making noises of all sorts. Every day. And all weekend. Once on Easter Sunday at 9:30 AM, I went over there in my pajamas to ask him nicely to tone it down! Another year, again on Easter, he and a friend were racing up and down the road again and again (trying out tuneups?) just as we were sitting down to carve the ham. Today, I just heard him rev up, go out, and come back again at 7:30 AM this Saturday holiday morning. Thank God I was already out of bed, or I would have been fuming at having been woken up yet again.

I got the town involved three months ago, and he at least has stopped with the group tuneups. But spiritually, I think I'm missing the point: it's not my right to judge him or what he does with his time. Even more difficult: according to the Bible, I'm supposed to love my neighbor, according to the Bible, esp. when it's NOT easy.

" But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48"

Still, it's been 7 long years of him destroying the peace. Of ruining the peace and quiet I felt I was craving to heal in after family deaths, 9-11, and divorce. I've actually started to hate my stressful life here in the house I had such hopes for: my grandfather's 1795 colonial in what used to be countryside, with barns and apple orchards, which should have been a haven, has been anything but.

So since KP'ers are so generous with their time & energy, if anyone out there can spare a prayer for me, I'd appreciate it. I seem to be in some sort of mental torture these days.

And if you would pray for my neighbor too, that he would experience the fullness of Life's joys, & real Love (of humans not mechanics), and be living Gods's plan for him? (Which, personally, I hope involves a lot of toddlers: a wife and kids would put an end to the endless tinkering in his garage real fast, but then, I don't know what's best for my neighbor, or for myself, the latter being painfully evident at the moment :C) It does seem sad to me that he's alone all the time and has nowhere to go on Holidays... He seems handsome enough: he's not a big tatooed biker type, just the opposite. He looks like an accountant...

This is long. Thank you for your patience, and letting me vent. As tears pour down my face, I guess I needed it...
I can understand how annoyed you were with all the noise -- but don't condemn the man just because he likes "mechanics" instead of humans. How do you know he doesn't like humans or has nowhere to go on holidays? Perhaps he is alone because he chooses to be. What is a "big tattooed biker type?" Some of the nicest people I know are big and tattooed and ride motorcycles. Why do you feel a wife and children would solve the problem? Marriage and children are not in God's plan for everyone.

I suggest you take a look at Matthew 7:1-5.
Don't get your knickers in a twist I said it light heartedly and I made that clear..... and by the way please don't quote the bible at me. read it... all of it. I simply feel sorry for the person you began this thread who is obviously driven to tears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,006 Posts
My sister and BIL had neighbors who built a dirt bike race track next to their property line. The boys and their friends would race every evening, morning, night, etc. She taped the noise and took it to a council meeting and the council had them get rid of their race track if I remember correctly or else it was moved far from the fence line so my sister's family weren't bothered with the noise.
As for your neighbor, the biker, it is probably a hobby for him. A tatooed biker could be the nicest guy if you got to know him. I just found out this week that a cousin of mine (who is a tatooed biker) preaches in his church.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,605 Posts
druidsgirl said:
Tennessee.Gal said:
kaceykat said:
***just realized this was the wrong spot, have asked Admin to move it Non-Knitting. Apologies :C ***

Wow. Pride goeth before a fall. And here I used to think I was so meek and mild and Christian...

Well, I had come to a point several months ago where I hated my noisy neighbor with a passion. If anyone is of a mind to pray for me, that I will grow in love for my neighbor, I could really use the assist.

You see, he has 11 motorcycles and an old car. He is single. He gets home from work at 4 pm, and is in his garage almost right away, working and tuning and reving and making noises of all sorts. Every day. And all weekend. Once on Easter Sunday at 9:30 AM, I went over there in my pajamas to ask him nicely to tone it down! Another year, again on Easter, he and a friend were racing up and down the road again and again (trying out tuneups?) just as we were sitting down to carve the ham. Today, I just heard him rev up, go out, and come back again at 7:30 AM this Saturday holiday morning. Thank God I was already out of bed, or I would have been fuming at having been woken up yet again.

I got the town involved three months ago, and he at least has stopped with the group tuneups. But spiritually, I think I'm missing the point: it's not my right to judge him or what he does with his time. Even more difficult: according to the Bible, I'm supposed to love my neighbor, according to the Bible, esp. when it's NOT easy.

" But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48"

Still, it's been 7 long years of him destroying the peace. Of ruining the peace and quiet I felt I was craving to heal in after family deaths, 9-11, and divorce. I've actually started to hate my stressful life here in the house I had such hopes for: my grandfather's 1795 colonial in what used to be countryside, with barns and apple orchards, which should have been a haven, has been anything but.

So since KP'ers are so generous with their time & energy, if anyone out there can spare a prayer for me, I'd appreciate it. I seem to be in some sort of mental torture these days.

And if you would pray for my neighbor too, that he would experience the fullness of Life's joys, & real Love (of humans not mechanics), and be living Gods's plan for him? (Which, personally, I hope involves a lot of toddlers: a wife and kids would put an end to the endless tinkering in his garage real fast, but then, I don't know what's best for my neighbor, or for myself, the latter being painfully evident at the moment :C) It does seem sad to me that he's alone all the time and has nowhere to go on Holidays... He seems handsome enough: he's not a big tatooed biker type, just the opposite. He looks like an accountant...

This is long. Thank you for your patience, and letting me vent. As tears pour down my face, I guess I needed it...
I can understand how annoyed you were with all the noise -- but don't condemn the man just because he likes "mechanics" instead of humans. How do you know he doesn't like humans or has nowhere to go on holidays? Perhaps he is alone because he chooses to be. What is a "big tattooed biker type?" Some of the nicest people I know are big and tattooed and ride motorcycles. Why do you feel a wife and children would solve the problem? Marriage and children are not in God's plan for everyone.

I suggest you take a look at Matthew 7:1-5.
Don't get your knickers in a twist I said it light heartedly and I made that clear..... and by the way please don't quote the bible at me. read it... all of it. I simply feel sorry for the person you began this thread who is obviously driven to tears.
Why are you targeting me when others have written practically the same thing? I will quote the Bible (which, by the way, is never spelled with a lower-case B) to anyone I choose, whenever I choose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
It is very sad that you have been annoyed by your neighbor. The first thing I thought was that he was alone. Are you? Perhaps it could be a portal to a friendship. I agree with so many of the other writers' advice to open your heart to him. Sometimes, people like attention, any attention negative or positive. If you embrace his obsession with mechanics rather than fight it, maybe you could learn something about cars from him, if you don't already know. Good luck and I hope you can come to terms with why you feel you must fight him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,813 Posts
I don't understand. Please, the rest of us are waiting, Druidsgirl. Just how was the Bible quote directed at you when the Quote Reply used was from kaceykat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Sometimes the only place we can vent is here. Sometimes we just need to vent.

I have been in your position - I understand.

I asked Jesus why - sometimes He does not answer - sometimes He answers in a round about way.

And I have come away, at times after reading scripture that this, this world, this neighborhood, this state is not our real home - it's somewhere else after this life. So I try not to hold on to "things" here, it's just stuff. And sometimes our neighbors just don't care and we can't do a thing about it. Let's face it not everyone holds to the golden rule. Sometimes I don't either. It's a moment by moment surrender.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,682 Posts
Everyone deserves some peace & quiet. Our city has a law - no noise after 11:00 PM or before 7:00 AM. Also, I would think common courtesy would say holidays such as Easter & Christmas should be off limits. Having said that, I also agree that maybe you could make a friend of this man. He could probably use a little TLC & a home cooked meal & you might need his services at some time. (Hint: Single men really like home made sweets.) In the meantime, I will pray that you get some peace & quiet in your life.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,778 Posts
Ms. Tess said:
I'm sorry but I have to agree with Kathy Capral on this one. I have read all about how this man next door has put you out and annoyed you over and over. Not once have I seen a christian attitude in opening your heart and looking deeper than the surface. Have you thought that perhaps this person has no family and nowhere to go on holidays or even someone who wishes him happy holidays? I am not saying that you have to invite him to Christmas dinner, but what could it hurt to make him a plate and take it over and give it to him and wish him Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? I am not saying that everything he is doing is without fault, but maybe, just maybe this man is reaching out to you in the only way he knows how. I would think about this, maybe one day something happens, like, perhaps you fall and can't get up? Would it not be better to have a neighbor who would come to your aid instead of having one that would stand and look at you and do nothing because of ill will that has built up over the years? Single people can be the best friends sometimes. If his bikes bother you, get a set of ear plugs that you can put in when you sleep. Sound proof your bedroom. I am sure in my lifetime I have done things that bother others and I know that others have done things that bother me, but do the christian thing and let it go and when you are asking for prayers for yourself and your neighbor, treat him like you would like to be treated. You may find that you have a great friend that you haven't met yet living right next door. =)
I have to say that I learned to look at your problem another way from Ms. Tess. I think she may be right. How sad that he works on his machines on holidays..... When my husband and I were young and newly married, we moved several states away from home. The Grandma next door "adopted" us. We would go over some evenings and play cards, watch TV and do jigsaw puzzles with her. It was wonderful for both parties as her family also lived several states away. I am not saying that you have to "adopt" this young man, but perhaps reaching out to him as Ms. Tess said... plate of dinner on holidays, plate of cookies any day, etc. Perhaps you will become friends of some sort. If not, you have done your part.

Thank you, Ms. Tess for changing my advice on helping this woman. You are right.

In any event, I will pray that you find peace with this situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,955 Posts
some of the things I am reading here I just don't get.
Someone writes "don't condemn the man because he like mechanics more than humans", I am sorry but where did that come from? The poster clearly is asking for the opposite.

It has been 7 years of stress for this poor lady. She has likely tried almost everything. She is asking only that we say a prayer. From what she has written I am inclined to believe that she is a reasonable person who has taken reasonable measures to try to solve the problem.

It is far too easy for us to give advise when we are not in her shoes. Another thing we must consider before we post advise is " would we ourselves do what we are suggesting"? I once posted that the most difficult advise to follow is our very own.

Ms. Tess, this poster shows nothing but having a Christian heart. I don't think you are the person to judge otherwise.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom