Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys does anyone know of a really easy knit Prayer Shawl pattern? I planned to make one for my aunt, whose having medical problems, at some point. But m Uncle called and said she was in the hospital and had surgery this morning because she was rushed in last night, so now I really want to make one for her. Any pattern referals would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
10,915 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
You can do a simple garter stitch shawl using Homespun. I'm not crazy about working with it but it works up fast and is super soft and light and everyone seems to love the finished product. It also washes up nicely and the cost is minimal.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
noelwright said:
This is the one I use all the time:

http://shawlministry.com/instructions.html

I cast on 63 sts. This way I always start and end with a knit. I use size 13 needles and it goes super fast!
This is the pattern our prayer shawl group uses the most. It calls for 3 skeins of Homespun which comes in a variety of nice colors. I use a size 11 for a little tighter weave but can do one in two or three days. Prayers for your aunt. I'm sure she will be comforted both by the shawl and your love and prayers knitted into it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago, the breast care clinic gave me my first shawl (it was the pattern mentioned by noelwright). I cherish it, feel grateful to the faceless knitter who created it, and now knit and donate for others. Your aunt will love the shawl and we all hope for her recovery.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
One really fast and easy pattern is a triangular shawl - using worsted or thicker yarn and 11-13 needles. Cast on three and knit one row. On the next row, increase one stitch on the end. Keep increasing by one stitch at the end of every other row until the length is suitable from the back of the neck down the front. Then begin decreasing by one stitch on alternate rows until you get to three stitches.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Quincy's Mom said:
You can do a simple garter stitch shawl using Homespun. I'm not crazy about working with it but it works up fast and is super soft and light and everyone seems to love the finished product. It also washes up nicely and the cost is minimal.
Ditto - it doesn't get much easier than that!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi, I just made a simple prayer shawl using 2 and 1/4 skeins of Homespun. The pattern is as follows: CO 3 st. Row 1 *K1,yo,rep. from *to last st, K1. Row 2 Knit across. Row 3 (K1,yo)twice,pm,(K1,yo)twice,K1. Row 4:Knit across. Row 5 K1,yo,Knit to marker, yo, sm, k1, yo, knit to last st, yo, k1. Repeat rows 4 & 5 till desired length. I used size 10 needles. (pm=place marker, sm=slip marker). I liked the little eyelets that were made by the yos. I hope goes well with your aunt.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I use Boucle with size 10 or 10 1/2 needles. Cast on 90-100 st and just knit until yarn is gone. Ends up wide enough for a "skimpy" afghan and around 6 feet long. Great for hospital use. Make use yarn is machine washable and dry. Blessings.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The easiest pattern I have found is:
Use Lion Brand "Homespun" yarn, (4 balls), size 10.5 needles and any size crochet hook D/3 - L/11 to attach fringe. ( Use Large-eye Blunt needle to pull ends thru and weave.)

Cast on 60 sts. Knit each row till 60"

Fringe: Cut 28 strands of yarn. each 13" (33 cm) long. For each fringe. hold 4 strands of yarn together and fold in half. Use crohet hook to draw fold thru ede of piece,forming a loop. Pull ends of fringe thru this loop. Pull to tighten. Make 2 fringes along both short sides with 8 strands in each fringe.
Trim fringe evenly.

It sounds simple but because of the yarn, it is soft and beautiful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom