Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a Christening Blanket from a pattern for a Christening set. I think it would make a great prayer shawl. Around the four edges are an anchor and a heart, symbolizing hope and love. I changed the anchor pattern a little to make it into a cross, and I added that to the other two symbols, around the edges. the center is stockinette stitch. I used a needle that was too thick for my loose knitting and sport weight yarn. The pattern doesn't show the blanket, just the Baby Boy's Christening Outfit. I highly recommend this pattern. I'm attaching a photo of my blanket, and a link to the free pattern.

[http://jaslamb.weebly.com/baby-boy-christening-outfit.html]

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks for the link. We have a prayer shawl ministry at our church for which I sometimes knit. I like the heart and anchor border and I like your idea of adapting the anchor into a cross.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Beautiful, love the idea of the cross. I have knitted many prayer shawls, using a pattern I have from a Prayer Shawl book I purchased. It is an easy pattern, which is good for me to knit while I am "waiting" somewhere. Haven't ventured away from it, but this pattern I may try. thanks for sharing. Judi

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn't actually easy. I wrote the 18 rows, one each, on 18 index cards so I could keep track of each of the three motifs.
Faith: K.. P.. K..
Hope: K.. P.. K..
Charity: K..P..K..
for the 13 stitches in each row. I had to keep track of which the three motifs I was doing in each square along the four borders. It took some concentration, but no difficult stitches.

Carol K in OH

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Your blanket is lovely and the pattern would make a very nice prayer shawl. Your adaption revising the anchors to crosses is nice. Did you know an anchor is also a church symbol, often shown with waves? The symbolism is God is our anchor when we are in rough seas that happen in our lives. Either or both would be comforting on a prayer shawl.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
k2p3-knit-on said:
Your blanket is lovely and the pattern would make a very nice prayer shawl. Your adaption revising the anchors to crosses is nice. Did you know an anchor is also a church symbol, often shown with waves? The symbolism is God is our anchor when we are in rough seas that happen in our lives. Either or both would be comforting on a prayer shawl.
I hadn't seen an anchor used for "hope" before, but I picked up the symbolism-- You have to trust an anchor. It's a motif that is easy enough to work into a simple k-p design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom