Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for patterns either knitted or crocheted for bulky yarn (5). I bought a bunch of homespun and Bernat Softee Chunky yarn when it was on sale. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a small pattern book using lion brand homespun or equivilent. I know the project I made was made using lion brand homespun.
will check it out in the Am. almost midnight here in Massachusetts, Good night all

·
Registered
474 Posts
There is a great book out there called "The Prayer Shawl Companion" by Janet Bristow and Victoria Cole-Gallo. They have some awesome patterns, for all different types/sizes of yarn. I picked my copy up at Barnes & Noble, but you can get a copy from Amazon or probably Michaels.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Our church has been doing prayer shawls for about 2 years and have given out more than 300 shawls and lap robes. There are about 7 to 10 knitters on any given day. We meet every other week. It is a very gratifying pass time.
Alberta

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had never heard of prayer shawls before I saw this, but have just been reading about them and think they are a really beautiful idea- I might suggest we start making them at our church!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I belong to a prayer shawl ministery at my church.We have given out over 235 prayer shawls. There is nothing like the feeling you get when you give a person a prayer shawl and see their face light up. You can go to lionbrand.com and get all kinds of shawl patterns for all kinds of yarn. The Bernat Softee chunky yarn makes up gorgeous prayer shawls.They are soft too. Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have knit prayer shawls using both homespun yarn and super saver yarn.

The original pattern was K3, P3, ending with K3. In other words, multiples of 6 stitches plus 6. Begin and end each row with K3.

I also like a "double" pattern of K3, P3. like this...
X = Knit O = Purl

Row 1: XXX OOO XXX OOO XXX OOO continue across row
Row 2: XXX OOO XXX OOO XXX OOO '' '' ''
Row 3: OOO XXX OOO XXX OOO XXX '' '' ''
Row 4: OOO XXX OOO XXX OOO XXX '' '' ''

You can knit a 2" border at the top and bottom by knitting every row.

Happy knitting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Our church knitting group uses a couple of favorite patterns.
1) cast on 60 sts and knit for 60 inches. Bind off, fringe end if desired. Use prayer stitch above if desired.
2) cast on 3 sts, turn,
k1, yo, knit across. (this is the row you use all through)
follow this pattern until your triangle scarf measures 35 inched from start to middle of last row. Bind off all stitches. This is best done on a round needle. This is lovely when fringed.

for Homespun I use about a size 10 needle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My church has been doing Prayer Shawls for the last couple years as well as Prayer Quilts. We have used several patterns, but the main one is a *K3, P3* ending in K3. We make them about 60" long and add fringe. There is a book called The Prayer Shawl Ministry put out by Lion Brand yarn that is available at Wal Mart that has quite a few patterns for knit and crochet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi
I use lion brand homespun yarns and i use 11 needles and they other people do knit 3 purl 3 and when you get to the end you purl 3 and knit all though the prayer shawl and you can get other ideas in Micheals or where ever you get you yarn. they have a book out for only prayer shawls. I hope that will help you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
These are two different prayer shawls, 1 & 2.
js33 said:
Our church knitting group uses a couple of favorite patterns.
1) cast on 60 sts and knit for 60 inches. Bind off, fringe end if desired. Use prayer stitch above if desired.
2) cast on 3 sts, turn,
k1, yo, knit across. (this is the row you use all through)
follow this pattern until your triangle scarf measures 35 inched from start to middle of last row. Bind off all stitches. This is best done on a round needle. This is lovely when fringed.

for Homespun I use about a size 10 needle. Best way to get the right size needle is to see if you come close on the yarns suggestions for a swatch.

I personally like to keep the pattern as simple as possible, because our group prays while we knit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I, too, am a part of our Prayer Shawl Ministry at our church. We meet the 2nd Saturday of the month. We have gone to nursing homes to pass them out and offered them for a "love offering" to our worshipers, from which we donate the proceeds for a new church project.

The books I use are: Prayer Shawl Ministry Vol 1& 2, Knitted Prayer Shawls by Lisa Carnaban, Knit along with Debbie Macomber Friendship Shawls, Quick-to-Stitch Prayer Shawls (Crochet from Annies Attic, plus many more from the lionsbrand site.

There are just so many books to choose from. Have fun and enjoy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Prayer shawls were knitted for church as well as hospice. There was a request that we not add fringe as it gets caught in wheelchairs. I sometimes knit a fan stitch or ripple border or just knit every row for 2 inches top and bottom.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi, This is my favorite prayer shawl pattern. Simple to knit & really eye catching. It is reverse able too, if you like.

Prayer Shawl
#10 1/2 needles any type yarn

Cast on 63 sts. or any # of odd sts. I went for 83sts. to make a wider shawl.

Row 1- K1,*P1,K1, Repeat from * across.
Row 2- K across.
Repeat these to rows do desired length.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom