Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the picture of William and Kate with their new baby wrapped in that no doubt hand knitted white blanket with the deep lace border. I wonder if I missed someone asking about the yarn and pattern here on KP.

Please let me know. The pattern is probably state secret but I can wish.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi Carole,

It may be hand knitted but was shop bought and cost about £46. It was lovely wasn't it and I think quite a few of us wish there was a pattern!

·
Registered
11,812 Posts
There was an article somewhere on the net that I read. The woman and the yarn shop were commissioned to make it. I remember there was a picture of the woman who made it and she was holding it up for the pic. Try Google search and see what you get. OBTW-this shop has produced the blankets for other royal babies.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Stablebummom said:
There was an article somewhere on the net that I read. The woman and the yarn shop were commissioned to make it. I remember there was a picture of the woman who made it and she was holding it up for the pic. Try Google search and see what you get. OBTW-this shop has produced the blankets for other royal babies.
Sorry but that was not the shawl that the baby was wrapped in on leaving he hospital. There is a discussion about the shawl on another thread. Search the threads and you will get the info on it.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I saw something about it in TV and they said it was an Australian woman who made it and she has a shop.

·
Registered
110 Posts
"The couple's first child, born on June 22, was seen looking super-snug in the white shawl by GH Hurt & Son in Nottingham, which was apparently made by the same company that knitted Wills's baby blanket 31 years ago, and Princes Charles' way back in 1948.
Now a plethora of new and expectant parents are desperate to get their hands on the £45 merino wool product."

http://www.ghhurt.com/baby-shawls/product/super-fine-merino-wool-christening-shawl.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
New Zealand’s official gift to the Royal couple is a hand-spun, hand-knitted fine merino lace shawl, similar to the one that New Zealand gave when Prince William was born. The intricate shawl has been designed by Margaret Stove, who was also responsible for Prince William’s shawl. Cynthia Read from Cambridge spun the wool and knitted the shawl.

As well as the shawl, and with the blessing of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, an invitation was sent to knitters around the country to knit baby singlets to give to new parents at local maternity and neonatal units on the couple’s behalf.

Google Cynthia Read, Cambridge, and you will see photos and the newspaper article in the Waikato Times.

And to those in other lands who do not know, note that New Zealand is not part of Australia. There is a wild and wide Tasman Sea in between.

·
Registered
10,812 Posts
There were many shawls/baby blankets knit and gifted, but the "official" one that they left the hospital with was actually machine knit, and commissioned by the Royal Family from (I don't recall the name of the yarn company in Britain) that has provided the official baby shawls for many many years. I was paying attention to all the news reports, and was very disappointed to learn it was machine knit. Not that one couldn't replicate it in hand knitting... There was also mention of a traditional Shetland pattern.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I too was going to tell the ladies about the pattern available from spotlight in Aus. If you put in Knitted Baby Shawl the pattern comes up as a pdf which can be downloaded. Just put spotlight Australia into google.
Roslyn

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
NgaireMPhillips said:
And to those in other lands who do not know, note that New Zealand is not part of Australia. There is a wild and wide Tasman Sea in between.
:) I was in your beautiful country last December (I am from the USA) and put my toes in that wild sea! Cold water but very pretty. Lots of big waves and interesting beaches. We cycled through the Westlands for a couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom