Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Probably) a silly question, but I'm still a novice knitter. I sew a lot and I have an old (my kids used to love to break dance on it. LOL) cutting board that I use to cut out patterns on and I'm wondering if I could use that for any blocking of the knitted sweaters I make.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Is the cutting board made out of cardboard or something impervious to water? Unless you are able to "roll" enough water out of your fabric, the cardboard probably won't last very long, plus it will "retain" water instead of drying. But if you cutting board is made from something else that water would not soak through and if you can stick pins in it, then you can probably use it. Either way, give it a shot with a small piece of fabric and see what you think.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
If the kids were break dancing, I think it is probably a non-cardboard cutting board and would be fine for blocking. Anything that you can pin into is good. I remember that my mom just used a good, heavy wool rmy blanket...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I see it with an old towel/blanket on top. On top of that is gingham, all held down with C-clamps. Then your newest creation pinned down and drying while everyone you know marvels at you ingenuity, creativity and talent. Is that the way you see it?

·
Registered
295 Posts
CarolBest said:
I see it with an old towel/blanket on top. On top of that is gingham, all held down with C-clamps. Then your newest creation pinned down and drying while everyone you know marvels at you ingenuity, creativity and talent. Is that the way you see it?
Love your reply!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just finished a knitting class and they said you could use towels, or a mattress so you could angle the pins in to prevent them from leaning or pulling one way or the other.
Hope this helps. But you already have a lot of wonderful answers.
This is a great question for this web site. This is a great bunch women with fantastic advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom