Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a cable cast-on of what I thought were 240 stitches. I just learned I had cast on 250...I pre-counted several times. I've gone back and re-counted! So, I have 10 extra stitches for the brim of Escargot hat (download from Ravelry). How can I get rid of these ten extra stitches? Is there a way? Or do I have to do decreases until they disappear- which will look bad on the brim. Maybe I can add the extra stitches to the spiral part of the pattern...hmmm. If there is a better way, please let me know ASAP!
Eagerly awaiting a reply from my fellow knitters.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Are you still on the cast on row or have you begun to incorporate it into the styling? I wonder if you can slip the extra 10 stitches into the inside of the hat around or in the flower?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
R
Csingsull said:
I just did a cable cast-on of what I thought were 240 stitches. I just learned I had cast on 250...I pre-counted several times. I've gone back and re-counted! So, I have 10 extra stitches for the brim of Escargot hat (download from Ravelry). How can I get rid of these ten extra stitches? Is there a way? Or do I have to do decreases until they disappear- which will look bad on the brim. Maybe I can add the extra stitches to the spiral part of the pattern...hmmm. If there is a better way, please let me know ASAP!
If you have already worked across the number you need, simply drop off the extra stitches then you can unravel them back to the needle.
I do this on purpose if I don't know how many stitches I need.
I also like how it makes the corner of the knitting look neater so I will add a couple of extra stitches to scarves etc, where the edge is going to show.
This is the beauty of the Cable Cast On.
Have fun.
Colleen

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aggie May said:
R
Csingsull said:
If you have already worked across the number you need, simply drop off the extra stitches then you can unravel them back to the
I also like how it makes the corner of the knitting look neater so I will add a couple of extra stitches to scarves etc, where the edge is going to show.
Have fun.
Colleen
I don't understand what you mean when you say, "unravel them back to the needle". Thanks for this. Awaiting your reply.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Csingsull said:
Aggie May said:
R
Csingsull said:
If you have already worked across the number you need, simply drop off the extra stitches then you can unravel them back to the
Have fun.
Colleen
I don't understand what you mean when you say, "unravel them back to the needle". Thanks for this. Awaiting your reply.
I realise now, you are probably working in the round so do not have a tail to unravel.
The best thing you can do is take it back to where you joined the Cast On and take off the extra stitches before you join again.
Hope I am on the right track now.
Have fun.
Colleen.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aggie May said:
Csingsull said:
Aggie May said:
R
Csingsull said:
Have fun.
Colleen
I realise now, you are probably working in the round so do not have a tail to unravel.
The best thing you can do is take it back to where you joined the Cast On and take off the extra stitches before you join again.
Hope I am on the right track now.
Have fun.
Colleen.
Actually, the first part of the hat is knit flat. I imagine when you mentioned unraveling that you simply meant, take the extra stitches off and incorporate them into the brim like other hanging threads. I think the best idea posted is to knit 2tog. Five times. With so many cast-ons, this makes the most sense to me. Thank you, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom