Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely love to knit with the new Cubic circs by Knitters Pride, but I've had three of them - sizes 6, 7, and now 9 - to break right where the wood goes into the metal shank. My LYS has been good about replacing them but I'm getting discouraged. Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I dont have the cubics, but use the wood symphony ones, I bought some 3mm started knitting with them, got up to make a cup of coffee came back and sat down on one and it shattered oooh was i frustrated!! Wish I could buy them singularly now!! I do find that they used to work loose until I cut up a thin latex glove into a square and I hold the needle with that while I tighten them to the cables and they have never come undone again whilst knitting. I love the wood ones. I was going to treat myself to the cubic when I start on my super shunky wool, not sure if I will now though!! They are rather expensive if you need to replace them. I got the acrylic ones as a free gift and had to keep sending them back because they kept coming loose at the join, I just mend them now with a dot of superglue! To be truthfull I'm not to keen on those, too bendy. x

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mended my broken needle successfully today with Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue. I just put the tiniest dot of glue on each broken end and put it back together, then pushed to hold it together tightly for about 5 minutes, until the glue had time to set. Then I carefully wiped off the glue that had squeezed out and set it aside carefully to dry for several hours. Looking at it tonight I think it will be ok, I can't even see the break. I know the LYS would replace it but they are 40 miles from here and I want to keep working on this project. I wish Knitters Pride would make the Cubics out of laminated birch like the KnitPicks Harmony needles are, they would be so much sturdier than they are now. Why not, the same company makes both brands!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had the cubics set and loved knitting with them. Had one break off -- the same as yours, where the wood met the metal join. They were willing to replace the broken needle but upon reflection I was worried about how strong these shorter needles would be in the long run. I returned the entire set. I wish knit picks would come up with a shorter needle point for their cable sets. Do my hats on double points 100%. I have to finish there so just start out with them.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yoniedow said:
No problems with my cubics yet but just had to write - you have my dog!
This little Bichon has stolen our hearts! He belongs to my grandson and family and lives about two hours away. However Nannie and PopPop happily babysit our grandson and grandpuppy whenever we get the chance!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine has stolen my heart too - he was a rescue puppy. I bring him to work and we visit Grandaddy every day at lunchtime. My mom passed away in February after a lengthy illness; my dog was her little ray of sunshine every day!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I do love working with the cubics and have yet to have any break. You can buy the tips separately from a wonderful company in Billings, MT. They are REALLY, REALLY fast to ship and the very nicest people to do business with. Link below:

handsomefibers.com

Phone: 406-233-YARN

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
mzmom1 said:
I mended my broken needle successfully today with Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue. I just put the tiniest dot of glue on each broken end and put it back together, then pushed to hold it together tightly for about 5 minutes, until the glue had time to set. Then I carefully wiped off the glue that had squeezed out and set it aside carefully to dry for several hours. Looking at it tonight I think it will be ok, I can't even see the break. I know the LYS would replace it but they are 40 miles from here and I want to keep working on this project. I wish Knitters Pride would make the Cubics out of laminated birch like the KnitPicks Harmony needles are, they would be so much sturdier than they are now. Why not, the same company makes both brands!
Search for Knit Pro needles. They are -I think -the parent company for Knit Picks and Dreamz and they have the same needles as the Knit Picks Harmony except they are called Symphony. They also have the shorter length interchangables as well as smaller diameter interchangables than Knit Picks.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yoniedow said:
Mine has stolen my heart too - he was a rescue puppy. I bring him to work and we visit Grandaddy every day at lunchtime. My mom passed away in February after a lengthy illness; my dog was her little ray of sunshine every day!
These sunny little guys are sure a lot of company, aren't they?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom