Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Knitking KH881 a few weeks ago. It looks very clean and does a very good job of plain knitting, but when I try to use a punch card, the only needles it chooses are the 2 end needles. Then when I push the MC button in and start to knit, the carriage locks up on the first stitch. I have used several different cards and several different locations on the machine, but with the same results. The sponge bar is in good shape, the timing belt is moving (I even put a new belt on it to see if it helped), and the punch cards advance to the next row each time I change directions.

The carriage looks clean, but someone suggested that I use a dissolvent on it to loosen any gummy residue. Can anyone tell me a brand that would be safe to use?

Also, if you have any other suggestions, I would very much appreciate them.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Possibly the end needle selection cams are not set corectly for your punchcard. With the change knob set at KC, turn your carriage upside down and check the litle orange cams at back of carriage. There is a slot in each of the cams which can be turned using a transfer tool as a screwdriver. The slots can be either vertical or slanting outwards. Whichever position you have at present, turn to the other and see if it solves your problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your suggestions. I checked the cams, but found that they are right. While I was checking and reading in the manual, though, I found that one of the rubber wheels on the sinker plate was set wrong. I fixed that and the carriage quit sticking, but still the needles are not selected when I try to knit with the punch cards. I will see if I can find more info on how the punch card reader works.

Thank you for your kind help.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
I bought a like new, never used machine and the card reader was acting up. Not just not selecting needles, but the wrong ones and advancing maybe 3-4 rows instead of only 1. The seller repaired it by removing the old greese and relubing it. I know he removed the card reader from the km to do this.
I don't think its difficult to do as the plastic cover for the back of the km is in sections and the reader unit looked like one piece. I don't think you'd use the same oil as used for regular maintaince, likely a heavier greese. One person I know said she uses white greese on her accessories...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom