Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have returned to knitting, an advanced beginner (though you may begin to question this as I continue...) and after completing some fun projects decided to embark, with a gorgeous Tosh merino light fingering weight yarn, on a linen stitch Spring scarf. When I'm not screwing up the stitch, it is beautiful. However, after a week, I have only about six inches, with many errors that show, and I'm ready to toss this project! Because the beautiful linen stitch is so compact, any error really shows up, and I am, alas, not a perfect knitter. However, I have this beautiful yarn, and would love to make something...in a pattern that is maybe a little more forgiving. Does anyone have any suggestions?

thank you!!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Hello, I'm making a pretty scarf, kind of lacey, with Alpaca.
Im using size 13 needles, here is the pattern:

Lacey Scarf
5" x 80"

CO 13

K1, (YO, K 2 tog)
K1, (K into YO, K1)
Repeat pattern for 5 rows
Garter stitch for 5 rows
Repeat pattern for 8 rows
Garter stitch for 8 rows
Repeat pattern for 10rows
Garter stitch for 10 rows
Continue repeating from beginning until scarf measures 80", end with lacey stitch.

TIP: K1 at the beginning of each pattern row and follow the pattern in parentheses until the end of the row.
Also, be sure and mark the front or back of your work and begin the later pattern row on the WRONG side of the scarf.

I noticed the scarf end curling after a few rows and then realized it was becoming diagonal because of the decreases and increases. I kind of like that and will block it when finished. The alpaca is so soft and lovely, just a little fuzz. Hope you try this pattern, its easy and pretty.
Lois

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Sometimes it's better to set a project aside for a while and come back to it when your frustration has passed. This is why I usually have 3 projects going at one time. One that is "intense" one that is "mindless" and one that falls in between!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( I don't have a pattern for you, but have an idea or two on your existing one.

As I can't see it, perhaps you'd send it to me in a private message.

Placing stitch markers and rewriting a pattern out of the horizontal into a more vertical set up might help. If using two colors of yarn, too could cause some confusion, too.

Also describe what errors you are making, please. TY!!

TTYL!

Donna Rae
SJTH said:
Hi all! I have returned to knitting, an advanced beginner (though you may begin to question this as I continue...) and after completing some fun projects decided to embark, with a gorgeous Tosh merino light fingering weight yarn, on a linen stitch Spring scarf. When I'm not screwing up the stitch, it is beautiful. However, after a week, I have only about six inches, with many errors that show, and I'm ready to toss this project! Because the beautiful linen stitch is so compact, any error really shows up, and I am, alas, not a perfect knitter. However, I have this beautiful yarn, and would love to make something...in a pattern that is maybe a little more forgiving. Does anyone have any suggestions?

thank you!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well, it depends on how much yarn you have, but I would suggest an easier pattern stitch and sticking with the scarf, since that's what you seem to want to make. If you have any pattern stitch books, the choice should be almost without limit.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
sharnkay said:
SJTH said:
Marilyn (or anyone) - Do you have a suggestion of a stitch like the linen stitch that knits up so compactly?
The moss stitch is easy and sort of compact.
Moss or seed stitch is great. It looks elegant and complicated, but it's not. It's also reversible so your work will look the same on both sides.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom