Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a provisional cast-on that doesn't create a 'jog' when you pick up the stitches? I am doing a Circle Vest and used a crochet provisional cast-on. As the main stitch used is k2 p2 rib, the pick-up line is very noticeable. I should be able to hide this one under the collar but wondered if anyone has any ideas for future use.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Are you crocheting the chain too loose? Try the next size smaller in hook size. One way to gauge would be to make the chain stitches the same per inch as your knitting stitches would be, then you would be picking up the matching numbers. I will have to try this myself, but give it a whirl and see what you get and let us know. I haven't used this method to cast on very often.

Carol J.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
This is a video from Knitting Daily:

Eunny shows about 4 or 5, ways to make a provisional cast on. On the crochet cast on where you make a chain, you have to make sure that you pick up the "bumps" from the BACK or the chain. ONLY pick up the back bump. She shows this and a few others that I really like. I use the crochet chain and haven't had the problem you mentioned. But I can see where it might be a problem.

Try these with waste yarn and see which one you like.

Also, on the section of KP, there are many links to provisional cast on methods:

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-107776-1.htm

Hope these are helpful.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, whenever you pick up stitches and knit them down, you get that jog. If you are doing stocking knit you would not even notice it, but it is 1/2 of a stitch off and probably one less stitch. I wanted to do it with top down socks, make a short top, finish the foot, then go back and make the top longer with the rest of my yarn, but I was using the same ribbing and did not like the look either. I had to start the sock with ss, then I went back and removed the caston and knit the ribbing it looked fine.

So if someones out there knows of a way I would love to hear how too.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I do a crocheted provisional cast on, but not from a chain and I don't recall ever having a jog. I usually use a waste yarn that's a bit thinner than what I'm using.

Let me see if I can find the video...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom