Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23,226 Posts
brendakbb said:
Does anyone use the tubular cast on for socks! It's so much neater!
Neater than what?

My toe up socks are very neat with Judy's Magic Cast On, and I never need Kitchener stitch...finishing the cuff with various versions of Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off (sometimes with no ribbing...all stockinette picot bind off, or picot hem for women, simple rib JSSBO for the guys)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
There are 3 different methods I know for a tubular cast on. The method that casts on with half the desired stitch count, then 4 rows of stockinette, followed by alternating a row of stitches, one from the working needle, one from the unraveled provisional cast on makes a nice edge. But it is fiddly.
If you use a Turkish cast on over 2 needles, there is no provisional cast on needed.
But I truly prefer the tubular method that starts with the Italian cast on, followed by 2 rows (not rounds) of K1, sl 1. Then join in the round.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you were to use the provisional tubular cast-on, what would be the best bind off? I’ve done top-down in a 3x1 rib. I generally use the Estonian cast-on. I use a regular tubular cast-on for bottom-up sweaters at the hem and cuffs. For the bind-off at the neck I do a sewn bind-off and never really thought if it would be stretchy enough for a sock. Thoughts? Recommendations?

·
Registered
52,666 Posts
mstalker said:
If you were to use the provisional tubular cast-on, what would be the best bind off? I've done top-down in a 3x1 rib. I generally use the Estonian cast-on. I use a regular tubular cast-on for bottom-up sweaters at the hem and cuffs. For the bind-off at the neck I do a sewn bind-off and never really thought if it would be stretchy enough for a sock. Thoughts? Recommendations?
No cast off for socks-as top down socks will most likely be doing Kitchener stitch.

As to the question of whether i have tried it the answer is no.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Definitely use tubular cast on for socks and most everything else too. Love it for sleeves and bottom up sweaters. No hard edges. If doing socks from toe up ( which I normally do) then the tubular sewn BO is best. A little fidlly to learn, but well worth the effort.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
jen9 said:
Definitely use tubular cast on for socks and most everything else too. Love it for sleeves and bottom up sweaters. No hard edges. If doing socks from toe up ( which I normally do) then the tubular sewn BO is best. A little fidlly to learn, but well worth the effort.
I have found the tubularBO to be less stretchy. Maybe there is a better one than I use.

·
Registered
595 Posts
WendyMargaret said:
I have found the tubularBO to be less stretchy. Maybe there is a better one than I use.[/quote
You do have to be careful about pulling too tight, but I find it perfect and not as ruffled as some of the other stretchy bind offs. There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing how to do it. I'm afraid I can't recommend any one over the other as I've watched a lot of them. I'm sure you will find one that works for you

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
jen9 said:
WendyMargaret said:
I have found the tubularBO to be less stretchy. Maybe there is a better one than I use.[/quote
You do have to be careful about pulling too tight, but I find it perfect and not as ruffled as some of the other stretchy bind offs. There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing how to do it. I'm afraid I can't recommend any one over the other as I've watched a lot of them. I'm sure you will find one that works for you
Thanks, I will check out more videos.

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
I prefer to do toe up socks but have done a few pairs to down recently as the pattern worked better that way for me and I wanted to enjoy socks both ways...for top down I use a stretchy cast on then I've used the Kitchener bind off

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom