Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a couple single purl rows to a baby hat knitted in the round for some visual interest but where I finish the round they don't quite line up smoothly. I am a new knitter of a few months and I've tried to look for help but may not be using the right search terms. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,264 Posts

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Janice M said:
This is from doing stripes, but might work here too . Slip the first stitch on the next row after the purl row. Jan
When knitting stockinette stitch in the round, there is no purl row. Do you mean to slip the first stitch at the beginning of the row? If that is done each time, I would think that would show even more.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
As others have given the advice and information that I have used/heard....
Just wanted to add that almost no one will ever be that close to the hat and since it is a variegated yarn (not solid) it is almost not apparent.
My grandmother use to say to my mom (who did fine tailoring) "it will never be noticed on a galloping horse" ... especially about things made for me.

·
Registered
20,406 Posts
knit4ES said:
As others have given the advice and information that I have used/heard....
Just wanted to add that almost no one will ever be that close to the hat and since it is a variegated yarn (not solid) it is almost not apparent.
My grandmother use to say to my mom (who did fine tailoring) "it will never be noticed on a galloping horse" ... especially about things made for me.
Agreed. If you wouldn't notice it from the back of a galloping horse, don't worry about it. Nothing will ever be truly perfect and you can make yourself totally insane sweating the little details like this one. Fuss with it if you like but I think your work looks beautiful and you should allow yourself to bask in the warm glow of knowing you've done so well.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I noticed the very same thing in a poncho I just finished & what I did was what was explained about the jogless stripe---it wasn't perfect but better!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Linda6885 said:
Go to youtube and learn about 'joggles joins'. There are a few methods to prevent this. it happens because you are actually knitting in a spiral . http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joggless+joins+
:sm24:

·
Registered
54,273 Posts
BBatten17 said:
When knitting stockinette stitch in the round, there is no purl row. Do you mean to slip the first stitch at the beginning of the row? If that is done each time, I would think that would show even more.
No but the OP has an added purl row that is causing the problem.
When working with colours to get a jogless stripe you work the first round in the new colour, on the second round the first stitch is slipped.
It doesn't work for one row stripes as it on the second row that the slip stitch is made so for the OP with just a single purl row it may not work. But try it by all means- all that can happen is it doesn't work.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I read somewhere that, I believe the Navajo Indians, always made one mistake in their weaving because they said only God was perfect and they didn't want to put themselves on his level. I always remember that when I make a mistake that is so small that it isn't worth the fixing.

Thanks for the info on joggless rounds. Even after about 60 years of knitting I have learned something new. I appreciate all the new knitters that ask questions like this and all the experienced knitters who pass on there knowledge. Thanks guys and girls.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom