Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a really dumb question but I have a need to understand the why's to things. I have been knitting for a year or so and when I make my purl stitch I wrap my working yarn around my needle in a clockwise direction. Recently I've seen videos that show wrapping counter clockwise. My question is then, does it matter which way you wrap your yarn? Is this a habit I should be breaking now, early in my learning. Or does it matter? I'm just having trouble visualizing the result here, and I find that I really need to. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Hmmm ... interesting question and I, too, would be curious as to how others do it ... I wrap my yard around the needle in a counterclockwise direction in both knit and purl

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done many projects and my purl stitch seems to work just fine, my work is smooth and looks perfect. I just wonder if I have set a habit that might cause me problems down the road. I almost wish I had never seen anything different. The question burns and I fear that in my efforts to change it, I am now inconsistent. :p

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
For the most part, counter clock wise is suggested. But as long as you wind the yarn the same on both the knit and the purl it won't make a difference. Which you already know because you said your knitting looks fine, and even. Winding the yarn clockwise on the purl stitch pulls it tighter, which is sometimes perferred. But if you swich back and forth it will change the angle of your stitch and it can be noticed on plain stitching. When doing an aran or another with a lot of changes between knit and purls wraping the yarn the opposite way, like I said pulls a stitch tighter. Knitters who have problems with tension going from a knit stitch to a purl can use this to tighten the stitch and prevent any laddering between the stitches.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very informative. Thank you so much for your input. I have been going different directions on a knit than on a purl. I'm thinking that consistency may be my best plan and I'm going to work now to form a new habit of counterclockwise for all. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
when I was taught by Kathy Zimmerman to knit (at age 45) she told me you wrap yarn when knitting away from you (clockwise) and when crocheting towards you (counter clockwise). that stuck in my mind and made sense cause I had been a crocheter for 36 of those 45 years. that means you bring the yarn from under the needle over the top away from you. Hope this helps .

Dixie

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
ditty said:
when I was taught by Kathy Zimmerman to knit (at age 45) she told me you wrap yarn when knitting away from you (clockwise) and when crocheting towards you (counter clockwise). that stuck in my mind and made sense cause I had been a crocheter for 36 of those 45 years. that means you bring the yarn from under the needle over the top away from you. Hope this helps .

Dixie
Noone taught me, but that seems a good saying to remember. That's the way I do it, too. Course, we can't both be wrong, right?????

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hmmm. Never thought about it. When I read this I had to stop and think about how I knit. When I watch videos I have to sort of ignore the individual technque. For example some people "throw" the yarn over the needle, which just seems like alot of extra work to me, but it works for them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
wellllllllll, i don't wrap at all. i do continental and just go from front or back...one is knit and one is purl. i don't see any slanting in my stitches, they are just fine and dandy...just saying. whatever works for you, do it. rules rules rules...they are only good for one thing..breaking them and seeing if it works. mine works for me. and this is a wrap....;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had to stop and look at what I did. I knit clockwise, purl counter-clockwise. My knitting looks great, which is what matters, right? I don't think it's a bad habit, it's just your style. As long as it looks right, I wouldn't try changing.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I wrap mine counter clockwise I think the difference is in the method that you learn. there is continetal and there is russian continental and other methods as well. whatever works well for you is fine. I notice that I have a problem when it comes to decreasing by going through two loops at once and at first I thought it might be the way I was knitting but I think it has more to do with how tightly I knit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also wrap my yarn for purls clockwise and knits counterclockwise. I learned to knit by listening and I only knew what it was suppose to look like in the end. I have had not problems. My stitches end up very straight and has not been a problem.

·
Registered
632 Posts
It can change which way the yarn lies across the needle, which can then in turn affect your decreases. I don't purl "correctly" so my stitches lay in the across the needle in a way that makes knitting easier, actually, but makes me have to change the direction it lays for K2tog, and I don't have to slip slip knit for a ssk decrease, if that makes any sense. The ssk slips stitches in order to lay them across the needle for a left-slanted decrease.
This is the way I learned to knit and I didn't realize it was different from the "classic" continental stitch until I started knitting lace.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
Carole C. said:
I've done many projects and my purl stitch seems to work just fine, my work is smooth and looks perfect. I just wonder if I have set a habit that might cause me problems down the road. I almost wish I had never seen anything different. The question burns and I fear that in my efforts to change it, I am now inconsistent. :p
I'm not sure if the way you wrap your purl stitch matters but it might in a specific pattern. The only way you will know is if you are trying a lace pattern and it doesn't look right.. or maybe it really doesn;t matter.. I wrap clock wise too.. and have not found a problem yet..
I did find a problem with my YO and the way I always knit in the back loop... the design I was needing I wasn't getting so I had to switch and knit through the front loop and that fixed that problem..

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Carole C. said:
i've always (50+years) knit and purl from the outside in. that makes the knits anti-clockwise and the purls clockwise. i just recently started reading about knitting and i supposedly have been doing it wrong all along. however my knitting looks like the pictures in the book (knits=V and purls= ----) when i do it the way the book says my knits = X. so i don't understand the physic of it but if your work looks the way you want it to look it's NOT wrong..

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I, too, learned to purl in a clockwise direction & later was told it was the Russian continental method. However, I do know that twists the purl stitch, unless you knit into the back leg of the knit stitch which untwists it. That makes doing a stockinette stitch SO much easier, faster & more even. I've now learned both methods & can switch back & forth, but prefer the Russian whenever I can use it. I find doing ribbing in the round doesn't work very well. However, as long as you always knit (or purl) into the leading leg of the stitch (unless the directions are otherwise) your work will turn out just fine!! You are not wrong, just Russian. (who knew?)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom