Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has crochet/knitted any purses and applied zippers and linings to them. Would love to see pictures of finished work and where you got instructions on how to apply zippers and make lining! Any suggestions? Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
gcat said:
Hello - I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has crochet/knitted any purses and applied zippers and linings to them. Would love to see pictures of finished work and where you got instructions on how to apply zippers and make lining! Any suggestions? Thanks for your help in advance.
Knitting Daily had a very interesting article on using zippers in your knitting about 2 months ago. They have a very interesting video online showing a new technique for putting in zippers that you just have to see to appreciate. Here is a link (I don't think you have to have an account or sign in to view it): http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2010/12/24/using-zippers-in-your-knitting.aspx#video

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! Sorry for the late response but like I said, I'm new to the forum, and VERY technically challenged :) Just when I start to learn something new on the computer, then another technique comes up - I never win!!!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have made a purse with a flap, lining and zipper...I plan to hand sew the zipper in and I am also sewing on some broche type items on it.....it's still a work in progress...I'd be hapy to take pictures of what I've done so far, which is the entire purse, lining, handles...

The only thing I have left is to sew on the broches and sew the zipper in....it's great fun to make them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I'd love to see pictures of your WIP. What kind of material did you use for lining, and did you back the lining material with any kind of stiffener? The purse I want to line is felted, but is kind of flimsy, unless I line it. I also want to insert an inner zipper pocket. have you done that, too? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Hi gcat,

This is my first purse and I am still learning....I got the pattern from the book "Stitch N Bitch" and I altered it as I went along, I also used some crocheting on the handle and flap...and the flap part came out almost in a ruffle pattern....I have not heard about stiffening agents for use, I will have to look into it, I just used a fabric that I liked and that I thought coordinated with the yarn I used so the purse would not stretch too much with use....since I am very new to this site would you like me to send the pictures to your e-mail? If so, let me know what your address is.., or if you can let me know how to send the pictures to you on this site I'd be happy to do that also.
Warm regards,
Rio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom