Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I cast on extra stitches for them, or just cast on the same. Its a stocking stitch long sleeved jumper that I want to put cable on. But I only want to have to cables go so far up the front of it. Only maybe half way up and then do stocking stitch to the top. Thanks for any help from a knitter from New Zealand. :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yes, swatch to see the differences in the number of stitches and see what you need to do. After the cable, you will have an excess of stitches and it will poof out where it is just in that section where the cables are. So you will need to see how much of a poof there is after the cable(s), too. Good sized swatch. Probably longer than wide. Maybe 6" X 10".

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I think the cables would be better if put at top of jumper after decreasing for sleeves... Or if a drop sleeve style.I have a pattern showing cables at the top and made it for myself and its a good fit .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do I cast on extra stitches for them, or just cast on the same. Its a stocking stitch long sleeved jumper that I want to put cable on. But I only want to have to cables go so far up the front of it. Only maybe half way up and then do stocking stitch to the top. Thanks for any help from a knitter from New Zealand. :)
According to Knitpicks tutorials, "Try adding half as many stitches as there are in the cables; so, if you’re adding five 2-over-2 cables (which use 4 stitches each), that’s 20 stitches total in all the cables, so add 10 extra stitches." But, they do stress that this is just a guideline or starting point.

·
Super Moderator
82,413 Posts
Yes, swatch to see the differences in the number of stitches and see what you need to do. After the cable, you will have an excess of stitches and it will poof out where it is just in that section where the cables are. So you will need to see how much of a poof there is after the cable(s), too. Good sized swatch. Probably longer than wide. Maybe 6" X 10".
No poof, if extra stitches are reduced after the cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your replies. Its for an adult. Me. I will work out and add more stitches on at beginning of front. After ribbing. Want it at the bottom as I have seen in a jumper for sale on the web.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Swatching is the best way to tell how many stitches need to be added. Yes you do want to add them after the ribbing and decrease the extra stitches out before beginning the stockinette section. I have found that the rule to add 1/2 the number of stitches in the cable works as a starting point. Some cables draw in more than others so it may be necessary to add one or two more or less stitches to the 1/2 formula.
Here is My Reversible Cabled Christmas stocking (worked cuff to toe). I redesigned the stocking because I was unhappy that the cuff flared (you can see it in the sample at the top in the photo, behind the final redesigned version). In the redesign I reduced the number of cast on stitches and then via a set up row added stitches in the first cable round to accommodate the cable draw in. Stitches were only added within the cables and not in the background moss or purl stitch.
In photo 1, the 2 over 2 border cables each needed 2 stitches added. In the first redesign sample I did not add stitches to the "Christmas tree" motif, which consists of right and left twists Ktbl. To my surprise I also needed to add 6 stitches to this section.
In photo 2, again I added 2 stitches to each of the 2 over 2 border cables and the Horseshoe cable (looks like hearts) needed 6 stitches added.
The Horseshoe cable is worked over 16 stitches and the "Christmas tree" is worked over 19 stitches, so the formula of adding 1/2 of the number of cable stitches did not hold true for either of these the cable sections. But did hold true for the 2 over 2 cables.
Brown Product Textile Rectangle Beige
Brown Product Textile Rectangle Beige

·
Registered
266 Posts
When I made a simple hat with several six stitch braided cables, I cast on the number of stitches for the ribbing, then added one stitch on each side of the braids, that I then worked as a purl stitch. It fit perfectly.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Love the Reversible Cabled Christmas stocking. Really beautiful!
Thank You. I have yet to post the redesign update on Ravelry. I've been procrastinating about replacing the photos. I guess I should at least edit the pattern description to add the changes to get rid of the flare.

·
Registered
158,518 Posts
For myself, I add one stitch for every four stitches that have cables. So, if you have a four stitch cable, I would add one stitch Per cable. And then decrease that stitch out at the end of the cabke design.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I made a pullover sweater for DH (not from a particular pattern) and added 1 st for every 4 cable stitches. The cables were 2x2 from ribbing to shoulder. When sewing/picking up stitches for shoulders/neckband, I decreased the extra stitches. I've done the same on socks. 1/4.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top Bottom