Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked many sites and still I haven't found anything good. Is there any way to put two yarns together without tying a knot or using the Russian method I have used this and it works great for worsted yarn but not for #3 yarn

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you are working with regular non-superwash wool, alpaca, or similar animal fiber, and providing it's more than 70% of the total fiber content, you can try spit-splicing. Lay the lengths to be joined in your palm, so that the ends overlap by an inch or two and the rest of the yarn drapes off your hand. One end draping off one side of the palm should go off to the new ball, the other to the work in progress. Moisten your other palm (actual spit is not needed), and rub your two hands together quite fiercely, with the yarn in between. You'll feel them heat up, and if the fiber is right, you'll felt-weld the two ends together.

On really heavy/thick yarns (Bulky and above), you might want to take a pair of scissors and taper the ends a bit prior to splicing, to make the join less noticeable. But for most weights of yarn, you just ignore the joined bit and keep working. I've never had a well-felted join fail. Oh, and you can join short lengths together to make a leftover "magic ball" this way, and work up a cool scrap project from the leftovers too short to do much else with.

Hope this helps - K.

·
Registered
23,226 Posts
Billyjf said:
I have looked many sites and still I haven't found anything good. Is there any way to put two yarns together without tying a knot or using the Russian method I have used this and it works great for worsted yarn but not for #3 yarn
I have used Russian Join on fingering yarn, but prefer to weave in new yarn for at least 6 or 8 stitches while working old yarn, then begin working with new yarn while weaving old yarn for same number of stitches. Next row/round, weave remaining tails in opposite direction while knitting.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have been known to knit a few stitches with both yarns before weaving in the ends. You'd have to judge whether the extra thickness would detract from the appearance. Usually I'll try to pull these stitches a bit tighter.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
mamakaren said:
I have been known to knit a few stitches with both yarns before weaving in the ends. You'd have to judge whether the extra thickness would detract from the appearance. Usually I'll try to pull these stitches a bit tighter.
Thank you mamakaren for the great Tip

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
marilyngf said:
she may be knitting, not crochetting.
she may be working in the round.
Try the magic knot....if done properly it will not come undone
Do not knot! It always works to where you can feel and detect it and shows a lack of skill.
Thread one end onto a sharp needle and work it in and out of the other yarn about 4 " from the end. Now take the other yarn, thread it and work it in and out going in the opposite direction right beside the first work. You can pull the two free ends to tighten this a bit. Smooth it out and keep knitting or crocheting. Work the two 4" ends in later when you have a little more room to go in different directions. This works for any weight yarn but nothing works well on super bulky. It is very secure and nearly invisible.

·
Registered
23,697 Posts
MMWRay said:
Do not knot! It always works to where you can feel and detect it and shows a lack of skill.
Thread one end onto a sharp needle and work it in and out of the other yarn about 4 " from the end. Now take the other yarn, thread it and work it in and out going in the opposite direction right beside the first work. You can pull the two free ends to tighten this a bit. Smooth it out and keep knitting or crocheting. Work the two 4" ends in later when you have a little more room to go in different directions. This works for any weight yarn but nothing works well on super bulky. It is very secure and nearly invisible.
Why not knot??? If making a hat or an afghan, I will knot. They hold "if you do them properly"!!!!.A fine sweater or such, I will add at the edge.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
marilyngf said:
Why not knot??? If making a hat or an afghan, I will knot. They hold "if you do them properly"!!!!.A fine sweater or such, I will add at the edge.
Joining with out a knot is easy. Just another technique to learn. So why would you knot if you can eliminate it with a better technique. Why 'knot' make your hand made item better? You don't buy sweaters and afghans with knots in the yarns so why would I choose to use a lesser techni for my own work?

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
I just start working with the new yarn. When it comes time to weave in ends, I close up the hole with a little tug on each strand, then just cross the strands (as if to knot) and weave in each end in the opposite direction of each other.
With many projects where the colour/yarn change is at the edge, just cross them and weave them in. Some projects I carry up the side. So I guess it depends on what you are making and where the colour/yarn change is to take place.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I do as JennyG12 does. Sometimes, if I am in a hurry, I tie a “temporary” knot and then go back later, untie the knot, and then weave in the ends. If the yarn is heavier I separate the plies and weave in different directions to avoid it being too bulky.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Caroline Currer said:
This is why I don't like knitting in the round - there is no opportunity to weave ends into seams. When there is no option, I use the Russian join.
With practice your joins can just disappear. There aren't that many joins in the round anyway that can't be hidden in an inconspicuous place. I have honestly had to cut my yarn to undo a piece because I could not find my own ends to unravel.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
MMWRay said:
With practice your joins can just disappear. There aren't that many joins in the round anyway that can't be hidden in an inconspicuous place. I have honestly had to cut my yarn to undo a piece because I could not find my own ends to unravel.
I guess I just don't have the magic touch. My joins are noticeable. If it wasn't for the virus, long drive and unpredictable weather, I'd drop by for a cuppa and lessons. In the meantime, I'll stick to assembling pieces. Actually, I don't mind sewing up a sweater.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I knit primarily sweaters and my favorite it’s to knit from cones. There will still be ends to weave in but a lot fewer. I always change at the end of a row and weave in later, something tying temporary knots. For knitting in the round I use a magic knot and place it where it won’t be felt or seen.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom