Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only attepted this one time. I have made a shawl with cuffs and that connects in th back. Do I block each piece before putting it all together? Would it be okay to spread towels on bed and make sure every think is straight?

Will appreciate any advice,
Thanks everyone,
barbo54

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
I would sew it together then block. I've use a bed often, because I have an extra bedroom. Remember that a wet block doesn't mean dripping wet when you lay it out. Roll your shawl in a towle and blot out as much moisture as you can, then lay it out, pin, or lace wires, whatever you need for your particular project. I have covered my bed first with plastic or a water repelant cloth, then cover with towles. One time when I suggested using a bed, I got a lecture from someone on here, about how I was inviting mold, and all kinds of problems. Maybe a concern if you used your bed everyday and never let anything dry out, or lived in a very wet climate. Anyway, for the most part, anything I blocked this way, never took longer than overnight to dry completely. if you have a fan to put on low to circulate the air more, all the better. Many here, will buy those foam floor tiles, that you find in the toy dept, to use, because it is easy to pin to, and easy to store later.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I prefer to block before sewing together. Blocking gives a cleaner edge with which to sew. I also use the bed for larger items. Smaller items I pin to foam board wrapped in plastic wrap. I live in an RV so being able to put my work behind the couch while blocking better uses my space.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
great advice... most patterns have a picture at the bottom of the pattern that says what everything should measure too...
I block before because I like nice well behaved pieces to sew up.. same as in quilting. I press before sewing up my blocks..

Linda6885 said:
If you do block BEFORE sewing which with some projects makes it easier to sew, remember to be careful to block to the same measurements, have your tape measure handy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom