Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying "Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns," by Anne Budd. Does anyone have an opinion about this book? Can you recommend another book with top down, drop sleeve or raglan sleeve sweaters for toddlers and adults? They don't all have to be in the same book. I need a pattern because I am not ready to attempt doing a sweater without a pattern. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Go to your library to see what knitting books they have. If your library belongs to the county system and they have a loaner program, look at the catalog and request the ones you're interested in.

You can also go to Amazon.com to read book reviews.

Instead of buying books, you can search for top down raglan sweater pattern on the internet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
My all time favoriteis "Patons Upside-downers". They have crew necks, turtle necks, and another book with cardigans. Printed in 2007, so I don't know if it' still available. The sizes go from child's size 2 to adult XL, so you really get your money's worth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
pin_happy said:
I love Ann Budd's, start doing my off-size patterns with her book. Very easy to understand, probably it is my own preference, I love figures in tables and columns.
I also love Ann's books -- our library has the one you mentioned -- it looks wonderful.

Take Joy,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,389 Posts
Knitting Pure and Simple has a line of individual top down patterns, that are great for beginners, well written and stylish. While it's not a book, you can pick and choose which ones you want - might be more economical. Jimmy Bean's carries them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,283 Posts
I have all three of Ann Budd's books and use them all the time. The instructions are clear and the sizing charts are accurate. They are my go to books when making up my own patterns for a sweater.

Love them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,788 Posts
Knitnewbie said:
I am thinking of buying "Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns," by Anne Budd. Does anyone have an opinion about this book? Can you recommend another book with top down, drop sleeve or raglan sleeve sweaters for toddlers and adults? They don't all have to be in the same book. I need a pattern because I am not ready to attempt doing a sweater without a pattern. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
If it is "The Knitter' handy book of Top-Down Sweaters" byAnne Budd I love it. Haven't made anything yet but all her instructions look great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
I agree re: using the library. I then choose an item I think I can do and then photocopy it. Since I am not selling it, I feel (hope) I am not violating copyright laws. I, too, will order it from another library in the county.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,833 Posts
ThorPepper said:
I agree re: using the library. I then choose an item I think I can do and then photocopy it. Since I am not selling it, I feel (hope) I am not violating copyright laws. I, too, will order it from another library in the county.
That is what I was thinking could be done. Just print off a pattern you like from a book at the library. Iat should be okay as long as you aren't taking credit for it and aren't selling the pattern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
sam0767 said:
ThorPepper said:
I agree re: using the library. I then choose an item I think I can do and then photocopy it. Since I am not selling it, I feel (hope) I am not violating copyright laws. I, too, will order it from another library in the county.
That is what I was thinking could be done. Just print off a pattern you like from a book at the library. Iat should be okay as long as you aren't taking credit for it and aren't selling the pattern.
Yah, but you would be violating the copyright laws if you do that. You can use the library book and knit it from the book. The purpose of copyrighting a book or a pattern is for the purpose of that person (who designed the pattern) to make their income from it. If you copy the pattern without buying it, then you are cheating that designer from his/her monetary income. In effect you are stealing, it makes you a thief, and that is against the law. I speak plain English and dont beat around the bush when stating wrong is wrong is wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
Look at "1000 Sweaters: mix and match patterns for the perfect, personalized sweater" by Amanda Griffiths (2004, Krause Publications). Starts with a couple of basic body pieces, then shows options re: sleeves, collars, other detailing. Only drawbacks: there are no instructions for plus-sizes, and they are all in the same DK-wt. yarns and gauge.

I think that the website Knitting Fool has some top-down general patterns where you can customize the instructions according to your yarn's gauge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
645 Posts
I suppose that you can look at the service Libraries offer in many different ways.

I know that ebook pricing for libraries is a hotly contested matter right now, with so many new things happening in technology affecting how we use materials that libraries offer patrons. The effort to fairly pay authors and publishers is pretty tricky when you have mutiple users.

In the case of a library loaning a knitting book out to a patron the library has paid the designer fee by its purchase of the book, the same way I'd own the book and be able to use the patterns if I bought the book myself.

I suppose it is true that a library's multiple use of items like pattern books and movie DVD's does cheat the designer/ film maker out of possible revenue, but that is the nature of a library system. If I buy a book and share it with my friend I've done the same thing.

If it truly bothers someone that they are getting something they feel they should pay for, then I suppose one could seek out the designer and pay for the use of the pattern.

I pay yearly quite a hefty tag for a card at my favorite library in a small village near me that has a private library not in the county system. My taxes pay for library privledges in the county system. The library buys the books from the publishers. In the case of donated books--and I donate knitting books frequently, I have paid for the book I donate.

There are 'educational' and 'fair use' exceptions to copyright laws. Copying a single pattern for personal, non-commercial use, from a whole book of patterns would probably come under such an exception.

It is a most interesting subject, and I'm reminded to contribute to my local library because purchasing books has become extremely expensive and most all libraries are suffering with budget woes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
5mm- there is really no need to shout. If a book is in the library it is there for use by any and everyone. If I do not copy the pattern either by longhand or with a copier, I would not be able to finish the item before the book with the pattern has to be returned. I'm not selling the item nor the pattern. It is for private use only. I may give the item as a gift, but that is still a private matter. It the designer of the pattern is afraid of being taken advantage of in that way, then the designer should stipulate that the book is for sale only and not be used as an item to be borrowed from a library.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
ThorPepper said:
5mm- there is really no need to shout. If a book is in the library it is there for use by any and everyone. If I do not copy the pattern either by longhand or with a copier, I would not be able to finish the item before the book with the pattern has to be returned. I'm not selling the item nor the pattern. It is for private use only. I may give the item as a gift, but that is still a private matter. It the designer of the pattern is afraid of being taken advantage of in that way, then the designer should stipulate that the book is for sale only and not be used as an item to be borrowed from a library.
I did not shout. When posting in captital letters, that is shouting and yelling. To post something in bold is not shouting but is used for emphasis. Check with a lawyer to explain the copyright laws. If you need to have the book for a longer period of time, then you just simply renew the book at the library.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Well, all I can say is it looked pretty loud to me. I am, myself, involved in a group that I have copyrighted. My family is involved in the art world and so I am very familiar with the copyright laws. My hope is that, because of the minutae of the laws, I am not violating any precept. I also have studied under a working artist and copyright infringement was discussed. I am also not as skilled a knitter as those that belong to this forum. That's why I read this every day. That's why I copy the pattern from a library book. I do not sell the item nor do I claim it as my own design. I only do the work involved to make the item.

I do not appreciate being called a thief and cheat in a public forum. I doubt very much that I will return to this site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
Knitnewbie said:
I am thinking of buying "Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns," by Anne Budd. Does anyone have an opinion about this book? Can you recommend another book with top down, drop sleeve or raglan sleeve sweaters for toddlers and adults? They don't all have to be in the same book. I need a pattern because I am not ready to attempt doing a sweater without a pattern. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I love doing top-down sweaters. Have you checked the free or low-cost patterns on Ravelry.com?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=knitting&view=captioned_thumbs&query=top-down%20sweater&sort=best
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom