Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,049 Posts

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
barbo54-According to the yarn council, there is a difference between the 2 yarn weights, Chunky yarn runs a gauge of 12-15 sts per 4" on US9-11 needles. Bulky yarn runs a gauge of 6-11 sts per 4" on US11 and up needles. If you try to interchance one for the other you may not make gauge and your project could be off in size. Denise

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I always get confused by those terms. I think different manufacturers interchange those terms. I would do as Jinx suggests and look at the number on the wrapper. The way I see it, you've got worsted weight which is a #4. There's a bulky weight which is a #5. Then there's the really thick stuff superbulky at #6. I google the name of the yarn and look up the stats on the company's website. I look at the number they have if I want to substitute so I can use something similar.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I stand corrected. I am currently knitting an afghan for college age granddaughter with Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick. The ball band describes it as "super bulky (weight category 6) with a gauge of 9 sts for 4" on a size 13 needle. They also refer to their bulky yarns as chunky.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Keep in mind that "definitions" are not mandatory so they could be very close., it really depends on the spinnery/manufacturer and how careful they are in their labels.

There is also the added problem of a lack of conformity in the terms selected by pattern author or even their tech editors.

Words should have meaning, but far to often in yarn, those meaning have more shades than grey <G>

My chart may help you
http://itsalljuststring.com/pages/yarn-label-xref-pv-c0-11.html

Otherwise, a good sized gauge swatch can save a lot of heartache later on.

Enjoy the making

Wheat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom