Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does dk yarn come in different thickness? I like making the “magic potholder” (for those not familiar with this pattern: the potholder that you crochet around and around and it holds in on itself and is then sewn together.) Anyway, I’ve mostly used WW cotton yarn but thought they were too thick. So I bought some dk yarn and it is so thin. Almost feels like a sock weight. Does anyone know if there is a brand of dk yarn that is thicker?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rainie said:
DK is dk. It's US #3, light worsted. There is variance in every category. https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/yarn-weight-system The variance can be caused by the manufacturer, the dye, the twist, the fiber,etc.
I just did a WPI and I got 18 wraps per inch which according to the chart it makes it a size fine. I guess i'll try doubling the yarn. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
e
jmcret05 said:
For those that are interested, here is a knit version. https://www.thechillydog.com/2016/01/knitting-pattern-grammys-favorite.html

To OPs question. Although I don't think it would work as well, why not use 2 strands of the DK weight? Or, perhaps work twice as many rounds? Make sure the material is not acrylic in any event.
I'll try doing what you recommend and use the yarn doubled. And the yarn is cotton. I have wondered if a blend of cotton and acrylic/polyester yarn would be okay with potholders/washcloths. Thank you for your response.

P.S. Just looked at the pattern and it looks interesting. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

·
Registered
15,261 Posts
You might checkout “Crafter’s Secret” yarn from Hobby Lobby, it is listed as a “4” medium weight, but what I have purchased has a thinner diameter than any other dish-cloth-type cotton yarn I have ever tried. And that includes Peaches and Cream, Sugar and Cream, Bernat Handicrafter and DeLux yarns as well as I Love the Cotton and a nameless cotton yarn by Lily.

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
I find a lot of differences in thicknesses of yarns, remember how thick the old WW yarns were, twice what they are now, I have what is called WW or #4 now that is almost as thin as fingering, it's smaller than some of my DK, I have some dk as small as fingering, #2. I have some #2 that is almost as thin as sewing thread that's used on a sewing machine. I recently used some very nice wool/silk yarn labeled dk and it's much thicker than any of the newer #4 yarns I have.

·
Registered
23,226 Posts
BarbaraSD said:
Does dk yarn come in different thickness? I like making the "magic potholder" (for those not familiar with this pattern: the potholder that you crochet around and around and it holds in on itself and is then sewn together.) Anyway, I've mostly used WW cotton yarn but thought they were too thick. So I bought some dk yarn and it is so thin. Almost feels like a sock weight. Does anyone know if there is a brand of dk yarn that is thicker?
DK yarn isconsidered a light worßted yarn...and is certainly thinner than WW.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
jmcret05 said:
For those that are interested, here is a knit version. https://www.thechillydog.com/2016/01/knitting-pattern-grammys-favorite.html

To OPs question. Although I don't think it would work as well, why not use 2 strands of the DK weight? Or, perhaps work twice as many rounds? Make sure the material is not acrylic in any event.
Thank you for this link. I have made several crochet ones. I felt they were too thick n use them only as hot pads at the table. Anxious to try a knitted one.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I used to get Patons made in England, always consistently same DK being DK I recently bought some DK and was thinner alright maybe now made in China or somewhere other than UK
BarbaraSD said:
Does dk yarn come in different thickness? I like making the "magic potholder" (for those not familiar with this pattern: the potholder that you crochet around and around and it holds in on itself and is then sewn together.) Anyway, I've mostly used WW cotton yarn but thought they were too thick. So I bought some dk yarn and it is so thin. Almost feels like a sock weight. Does anyone know if there is a brand of dk yarn that is thicker?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom