Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any of you ladies and men put your items in Fairs. and if so how do they usually display them? I entered my POW/MIA afghan in a local fair last week. As I cna not walk around I didnt go to it. But my daughter went and was going to check out and take a pic of it for me. Now I didnt do it to win anything. I just wanted to get it out because of what it was for. When my daughter called me to tell me it hadnt won that was fine. But what bothered me was that she said it was just all folded up on the table and no one could even tell what it was. The friend that had entered it for me said the same thing and the only things that were "displayed" were Quilts. Now I understand there might be limited space and they cant hae everything unfolded. But I think they could have have it folded in a way for people to at least tell what the item was. Have any of you ever experenced this before. Just to mention that I had put it in another fair a couple of weks eariler and they had it all out.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Most of the afghans at our county and state fairs are folded either on a table or hanger. They unfold them to judge them, and then fold them back up when they're done. There is never enough room to display all the afghans.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
At our fair, they display all of the afghans that have won ribbons and then they try to display as many more as they can, but they fold the rest. Not sure how they choose from "the rest".

·
Registered
748 Posts
I entered a lot of things in two fairs then gave up, this summer. You could make the most wonderful meaningful family loved thing in the world and it will be judged only for whether or not it has perfect stitches, not for meaning. You can get marked 0 when there is not even any cdompetition. I lost money paying a lot of entry fees for too many items at our local county fair, for my daughter and myself. Did not even begin to break even, plus all the travel expense. Meanwhile I was bouncing checks buying too much stuff to get ready for the fairs and neglecting housework and missing out on the summer. All for naught. Even if I won, what is a $3 prize for a quilt or afghan compared to the real value of it. If not displayed correctly no one knows what it is all about. I spent thousands of hours on one quilt and am not taking it to fairs. May display it during our coming Fall Festival in our town's VFW with a handout to explain the meaning of it, as it is about Iraq Deployment and my PTSD and my son's. I will enter next year's 175th fair for our county, if only to help them have a good showing of items. But will take whole year to prepare, not just last minute rush. I need my sleep and to balance my checking account.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
At our fair there is a rope across the back wall so they can display all the afgans and quilts
Maybe yours was treated badly because of someone's political views. Not you workmanship. It is an awesome piece, if it is, what is in your picture.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
County Fairs in general are in a bind -- their funding is drying up, participation is down,and most, if not all, of the workers are volunteers. Locally, we work with the head of the Fiber Arts department (a volunteer) before the fair to offer any display aids that would be useful to show our pieces to advantage. For example, stands for hats, colored tablecloths to place under knitted or crocheted tablecloths, color fabric to use under the "top" layer of a folded lace piece. This year, my friend Laury, had a small crocheted child's dress to enter, so she made a small stand out of wooden dowels to help with the display - not only does it show the dress well, but it is free standing and will add vertical interest to a display. The real challenge for the fair people is that typically they don't know what is coming in for judging/display until just before judging and then there is a rush to get the displays set up in the exhibit buildings. If you talk with them before hand and try to make their job easier, you probably will have good results. Best of Luck to exhibitors!!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all I just thought that when they folded it up they could have at least had part of the POW or MIA showing just to give a clue of what it was. I was thinking it could have been political too. Oh well what is done is done. It is a shame though. I did hear that this Fair has a little bit of a history of things like this. If I had even had a clue this was how they did things I would have had the girl that entered it for me ask them to fold it differently.
Hipoldfarmgirl. We are planning to be at the car show at the Fall Festival. I use to go every year but cant walk around so Icant look at all the crafts anymore. I sure do miss that. But will be sitting down by our car. As long as the weather isnt too bad. lol

·
Registered
8,559 Posts
How did the microwave "canned" items do? Just curious.

Hipoldfarmgirl said:
I entered a lot of things in two fairs then gave up, this summer. You could make the most wonderful meaningful family loved thing in the world and it will be judged only for whether or not it has perfect stitches, not for meaning. You can get marked 0 when there is not even any cdompetition. I lost money paying a lot of entry fees for too many items at our local county fair, for my daughter and myself. Did not even begin to break even, plus all the travel expense. Meanwhile I was bouncing checks buying too much stuff to get ready for the fairs and neglecting housework and missing out on the summer. All for naught. Even if I won, what is a $3 prize for a quilt or afghan compared to the real value of it. If not displayed correctly no one knows what it is all about. I spent thousands of hours on one quilt and am not taking it to fairs. May display it during our coming Fall Festival in our town's VFW with a handout to explain the meaning of it, as it is about Iraq Deployment and my PTSD and my son's. I will enter next year's 175th fair for our county, if only to help them have a good showing of items. But will take whole year to prepare, not just last minute rush. I need my sleep and to balance my checking account.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I had to give up on the microwave canning until I can get ahold of and read the book from australia. My canned goods started popping their lids, so I have a whole lot of them in my refrigerator. I was not brave enough to can them with the lids on in the microwave, like the tutorial on the internet showed. Embarrassingly (for the judge too ) my daughter must not have kept her large quart jars in the hot water bath long enough. She had a blue ribbon on a jar of canned cherries, but on a hot day during the fair it decided to leak down the side of the jar and onto the white cardboard label tag. I have that here to make into cherries jubilee, heated and with alcohol content... I have not canned anything more since that microwave attempt; have popped peaches and blueberries into the freezer, though. Too bad they don't allow frozen entries at fairs!

·
Registered
8,559 Posts
IMHO I would DUMP anything that popped the lid after it had been sealed. It is TOO risky of containing bacteria that causes food borne illnesses. I would not be brave enough to eat them. Maybe check with your local extension office before you make yourself or anyone else sick.

Hipoldfarmgirl said:
I had to give up on the microwave canning until I can get ahold of and read the book from australia. My canned goods started popping their lids, so I have a whole lot of them in my refrigerator. I was not brave enough to can them with the lids on in the microwave, like the tutorial on the internet showed. Embarrassingly (for the judge too ) my daughter must not have kept her large quart jars in the hot water bath long enough. She had a blue ribbon on a jar of canned cherries, but on a hot day during the fair it decided to leak down the side of the jar and onto the white cardboard label tag. I have that here to make into cherries jubilee, heated and with alcohol content... I have not canned anything more since that microwave attempt; have popped peaches and blueberries into the freezer, though. Too bad they don't allow frozen entries at fairs!
:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Pity the Saline, mIch. fair. Today entries for statics are due, and temp will be near ninety degrees Tomorrow even hotter as animals are being brought in and settled in place. I have heard many awful comments about the very hot fairs last year and how the entries did not show up.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
You did a great job on your afghan. Too bad everyone that want to the fair could not see it. My shawl was folded up but there was so many entry's it would be hard to lay everything out.

Congrats NanFran, bet it is beautiful.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I entered 5 items in our state fair this year and received a 1st,2nd,3rd, & 4th. The fifth didn't win and I took it home the same day of judging. Last year I entered several and didn't win any prizes. It all depends on the competition.
I enjoy the judging because you always learn something. Don't give up. Keep on entering.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Cinny60 said:
I was just wondering if any of you ladies and men put your items in Fairs. and if so how do they usually display them? I entered my POW/MIA afghan in a local fair last week. As I cna not walk around I didnt go to it. But my daughter went and was going to check out and take a pic of it for me. Now I didnt do it to win anything. I just wanted to get it out because of what it was for. When my daughter called me to tell me it hadnt won that was fine. But what bothered me was that she said it was just all folded up on the table and no one could even tell what it was. The friend that had entered it for me said the same thing and the only things that were "displayed" were Quilts. Now I understand there might be limited space and they cant hae everything unfolded. But I think they could have have it folded in a way for people to at least tell what the item was. Have any of you ever experenced this before. Just to mention that I had put it in another fair a couple of weks eariler and they had it all out.
Hi!
At the Big E (coming soon in West Springfield, MA), they display everything to some degree. The smaller items are usually displayed more in full, either hanging on a wall or spread on a table. The larger items might be folded minimally & in such a way that you can see virtually all of the design or else hanging on something like a quilt rack (i.e. so you can mostly see one side of it, although they try to make it so you can walk around it to some degree). Of course, they get an enormous variety of items... I think the coordinator for the Fiber Arts section of the fair said they got 776 entries this year. She said that rug-making is up, but mostly it's the traditional "hooking" (Yes, it lends itself to many bad jokes. We have a family friend who teaches in a seminary & she makes rugs, so they call her the Holy Hooker). Still, they did get some braided rugs, many dolls, quilts, cross-stitch, lace collars, tatted items, knitted items, etc.
I'm not sure what the criteria are for entering items... I understood it to be that you had to enter things of your own design. I can swear I've seen items, particularly cross-stitch, which *greatly* resemble (to the point where they might actually be identical) cross-stitch patterns I've seen, though, so maybe that's not true. I've thought of entering items into the fair, but haven't had the time to design my own.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Cinny60 said:
FYI, that afghan is awesome. Excellent job. :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom