Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all you fellow KPers. Could someone please tell me how much does the wool yarn shrink when you was it. I have some 100% pure new wool that a friend of mine gave me. I want to make one of my bags. My question really is how big should I make the bag? I will wash it before I line it of course.

thanks so much for any help

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
The only way to really gauge the amount of shrinkage is to knit a swatch and felt it. I make bags and make really big swatches that can used as pockets later on.
Different types of pure wool yarns, and even different colors, may felt at different rates. Be sure the wool isn't superwash or it won't felt as it has been pretreated not to.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
ulrika said:
It's from Patons,classic wool. It says it's pure wool, made in Turkey. I will test a swatch. I just doing a basic crochet bag. It's such a pretty colour (pale pink).
For my felted rose with stem and felted slippers that I posted...(pictures below) I used the Paton "Classic Wool" and I liked the results... It is hard to gauge the shrinkage. Alot depends on how hot your water is, how long you agitate it and what kind of washing machine you have. You can just keep checking it in progress and were it seem like you like it, rinse it shape it and let it air dry. You may also, I have found , be able to refelt a little if you arent real happy with your results..
I think it is a good idea to do a swatch to give you an idea if you have never felted before...my opinion.. ;)

Good luck and most of all have fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
When making a tote. It will shrink more side to side than up and down. I knit mine and cast on 150 stitches. Probably would be the same for crochet. You can judge the length by how long you want it to be. I would say about 22 inches. Love to felt.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have done much felting . Its best to have a bag pattern specificly for felting. All the directions will be there for knitting and amt of shrinkage for the size you want. Otherwise a to yor washer in the hottest water available and keep taking it out every 5 or 10 min untill the size you want!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom