Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would give it a try and the book I have is all garter stitch for modular knitting and wondered if there is a reason. So the yarn I was using looked so much nicer in a stockinette stitch but as I worked the square it ended up a diamond shape rather than a square. There has to be some mathematical reason for this....I just never gave it a thought till now. Can you knit a square starting with one stitch and doing an increase so you get a perfect square diagonally. ...(doing an increase on each end is making my square elongated like a diamond.:)

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((( SEE ))))))))

Can you knit a square starting with one stitch and doing an increase so you get a perfect square diagonally. ...(doing an increase on each end is making my square elongated like a diamond.:) ((((( You can get both: For the square, you'd decrease the same amount that you increased. Tell me how big the square is that you need and I'll write you a garter stitch pattern (:)

Donna Rae ))))))
[/quote]

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be clearer...If I do it in a garter stitch I do get a perfect square (starting with one stitch and increasing 1 stitch at the beginning of each row but this does not make a square when I do stockinette. My purl stitch must be longer.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( Hmmm.... Well, my tension gauge will be different from yours, also so I shouldn't write you a stockinette pattern.

So, which end isn't square? The length? Eliminate a row; Measure at that point. If's it the width, use one less stitch, perhaps two; Measure.

You should be able to lay a gauge on it and find the solution.

Donna Rae ))))))
LoorieR said:
To be clearer...If I do it in a garter stitch I do get a perfect square (starting with one stitch and increasing 1 stitch at the beginning of each row but this does not make a square when I do stockinette. My purl stitch must be longer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK....I think you are right. I like these kind of challenges. I need to think about this a bit then. I would think if it is longer than wider I'll need to add increases then. Oh this might be too complicated for me. Thanks for your help tho...

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Garter st rows have a different vertical height that stockinette st. Here's the garter st formula: To get a sq., K twice as many rows as there are sts. For example, a 12 st sq would require 24 rows.

For the stockinette (St), watch the work carefully. When it starts to looking sq, lay it flat and measure. When sq, take note of number of rows and go for it. You want to change the number of rows, not sts.

The reason is in the nature of the two fabrics. Garter st acts like a spring, the rows slightly draw toward each other. ST st stitches a flat, so the fabric gets the use of the full height of the st. I repeat: IT IS NOTHING YOU ARE DOING WRONG.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much! I can understand this. I will be starting another swatch and try this...it seems almost immediately it starts taking on the diamond shape.(elongated square) so this certainly makes sense. Thanks for this great post.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sitting here thinking that I might not have been clear on this...I am referring to what I read in a book Wooly Thoughts where you start with one stitch and do an increase on each row then when the size is where you want it then you decrease to the one stitch and you have a square. You make enough squares of different sizes and you can put together a sweater. But it is always in garter stitch and this as you say does make a tidy square but to achieve this in Stockinette you would need to do more than one increase per row and I wondered if there was some mathimatical equation to this.

·
Registered
532 Posts
What valuable information. Many Many Thanks for this. You are one smart knitter!
StitchDesigner said:
Garter st rows have a different vertical height that stockinette st. Here's the garter st formula: To get a sq., K twice as many rows as there are sts. For example, a 12 st sq would require 24 rows.

For the stockinette (St), watch the work carefully. When it starts to looking sq, lay it flat and measure. When sq, take note of number of rows and go for it. You want to change the number of rows, not sts.

The reason is in the nature of the two fabrics. Garter st acts like a spring, the rows slightly draw toward each other. ST st stitches a flat, so the fabric gets the use of the full height of the st. I repeat: IT IS NOTHING YOU ARE DOING WRONG.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom