Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the new ruffle yarns are used for scarves. I was wondering if I can make a hair scrunchie with this yarn by crocheting it with another yarn onto a stretchy band, and filling the band tightly.
What do you ladies think? Do you think this is possible?....BlueRose in Florida

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
What is a scrunchie?

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
here are some examples of hair scrunchies - a thing to wrap around your hair to hold a pony tail
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#page=1&view=captioned_thumbs&query=hair%20scrunchie&sort=best

I'm sure I've seen a scrunchie pattern using that yarn.....(off to look around)....
here's one included with the skirt pattern:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ruffled-skirt
Not sure how this one is made, but your idea of combining it with another yarn onto a hair band sound like a winner.

Found a for-sale pattern here:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/104559236/pattern-k-ruffle-pony?ref=v1_other_2

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HandyFamily said:
What is a scrunchie?
a scrunchie is a band for pony tails or for hair adornment, you crochet around the stretchy bands filling the band completely and it ruffles and is very pretty in varigated colors yarns. great way to use left over yarns...BlueRose

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Oh, I get it. Thank you.
In that case, I think the ruffle yarn can be used for these... aaa... scrunchie.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The easy way to do it is cut a long length of this yarn and sew in to a circle. Sew a piece ot material to the 'knit' side , fold over sew the other side to the yarn leaving the join open thread a piece of thin elastic through the tube formed, just enough to grip the hair when its on. the ruffle should form naturally as the material is gathered. I can't be certain this will happen not having tried it but logically it should.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
You can also work up the ruffled yarn onto one of those barettes with an opening in the middle and make a one-of-a-kind barrette.

·
Registered
963 Posts
BlueRose said:
I understand the new ruffle yarns are used for scarves. I was wondering if I can make a hair scrunchie with this yarn by crocheting it with another yarn onto a stretchy band, and filling the band tightly.
I have made three crocheting them around an elastic band. The thinner ones I went into the loops below where you normally make your scarf, it filled up the band quicker. The brown was done in the same holes as the scarf and took more yarn.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
kathiebee said:
BlueRose said:
I have made three crocheting them around an elastic band. The thinner ones I went into the loops below where you normally make your scarf, it filled up the band quicker. The brown was done in the same holes as the scarf and took more yarn.
Those other ones - not the brown - actually look richer in ruffles...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom