Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insurance company says all yarn that was in her home during a fire cannot be saved because the smoke smell can never be removed. is this true? she has thousands of dollars worth of beautiful skeins and cones of carefully collected yarns over the past 5+ years. any thoughts or suggestions? or personal experiences? any insurance folk with comments? all advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
A friends home recently burned. A cleaning company that specialized in fire and water disasters was able to get all of the smoke smell out of her upholstered furniture and her clothes. Why would yarn be any different. I would insist your insurance company check into a specialized cleaning service.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Diane, How nice of you to want to help out this lady. I feel sad for her. I went to the top of the page and put" yarn smells like smoke" in the search section. Almost a full page of suggestions came up. I hope this will help. This situation is such a shame. Good luck in all ways to this lady.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
momcat531 said:
A friends home recently burned. A cleaning company that specialized in fire and water disasters was able to get all of the smoke smell out of her upholstered furniture and her clothes. Why would yarn be any different. I would insist your insurance company check into a specialized cleaning service.
Because insurance companies want to get by and not spend money on doing the right thing. To me they rank right up there with used car sales people. They're more than happy to take your money, but when it comes time for them to help, well my experience is "too bad, so sad.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
A friend had this problem last October. Fire in her home ruined most everything. The insurance company put her yarn and knitted items in an ozone room and the smell came out.

·
Premium Member
81,370 Posts
casey1952 said:
A friend had this problem last October. Fire in her home ruined most everything. The insurance company put her yarn and knitted items in an ozone room and the smell came out.
Aha! Some insurance companies are responsibly run! You should give them a plug by telling us their name.

I've bought yarn that had obviously been in a house fire. As long as it hasn't been physically scorched, it's fine to use; time and airing will remove any stench.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Don't allow the insurance company to destroy all this wonderful yarn. Tell her to just keep pushing them. She has to keep in there fighting for what is right. Many years ago when we had a camper fire, they told me that my Kenwood Wool blanket was worth nothing because it was 11 years old. I kept pushing because it had been in my hope chest until I took it out to use for this occasion. At the time they were valued at $21.00 and in the end they gave me $16.00. After that experience, we changed our insurance to replacement cost even tho it was more money. Of course, there are some things that can never be replaced so you have to fight for everything you had.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
Aha! Some insurance companies are responsibly run! You should give them a plug by telling us their name.

I agree. Would be nice to know who these companies are, and support them.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:

I've bought yarn that had obviously been in a house fire. As long as it hasn't been physically scorched, it's fine to use; time and airing will remove any stench.
I will see her tomorrow at oue knitting/crochet group and will ask her then. She has profound deafness and it's easier to talk in person.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
An ozone chamber should do the trick. Any good disaster clean up company should have one. (This is what they do to furniture, clothing, etc. after a fire.)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Good morning. There is a company nationwide that is called Servpro, they should be able to advice you. Also contact a good local dry cleaner and ask to speak to the owner, he should be able to give you advice as well. My son worked for Servpro,,they are franchised and they remove all sorts of things.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Not that I am defending the insurance company because I agree, most of them stink, (pay their outrageous premiums but don't dare put in a claim) but they most likely have no idea of the monitary value of the yarn and on top of that, your emotional tie to it. They assme it's pound of love from Michael's, no big deal, just go out and buy another one. Stick to your guns and insist they do something. Good luck, I hope you succeed. I would be heartbroken if something happened to my treasured stash. Only a knitter would understand. You have my sympathy.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
crazy-dutch-lady said:
Good morning. There is a company nationwide that is called Servpro, they should be able to advice you. Also contact a good local dry cleaner and ask to speak to the owner, he should be able to give you advice as well. My son worked for Servpro,,they are franchised and they remove all sorts of things.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
casey1952 said:
OZONE works. I, too, went through a house fire and everything (fabric) but cushions were ozoned. The one thing I noticed, though, was my clothing that was ozoned all shrank a bit. Don't know if that would happen with yarn, but I would re-measure any yarn prior to use, just in case.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
THe best way to remove smoke from clothing or yarn would re quire a two part process. First place the yarn in a bucket bathtub or and large container that will hold it. you can do it in small batches as well. fill with warm water not to hot then place in 1 to 2 cups of white vinegar let sat for 3 hours. rinse well and then place in the container again fill with warm water and stir in 1 cup of baking soda and let sit another 3 hours and rinse. place the yarn on a table in the sun out side and let it dry. just remember do not wring the yarn to hard it will stretch the fibers. when the yarn is dry place a rubber band around the yarn and the info from the wrapper so you will know what the yarn is. This should work we had a house fire and this is how we got rid of the smell in your clothes etc.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom