Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which way do you crochet? I've read that the correct way to crochet is to insert the hook under the top 2 loops. I've also read where you can insert hook either in front loop or back loop. Is there a correct way or are any of these ways proper? Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
All 3 are proper. Under 2 unless instructed to go into the front or back loop only. Some times you will be instructed to go into the bump on the back of a chain. All these methods give a different appearance to the item.

·
Premium Member
81,337 Posts
SuzieW said:
All 3 are proper. Under 2 unless instructed to go into the front or back loop only. Some times you will be instructed to go into the bump on the back of a chain. All these methods give a different appearance to the item.
:thumbup: There are no Crochet Police! All are 'proper', though there are books and instructors who'll swear there is only ONE RIGHT WAY to do whatever (and take note that they don't all agree on which way is THE one!). Try each and decide for yourself which pleases you - the Maker! - best.

·
Registered
38,215 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
:thumbup: There are no Crochet Police! All are 'proper', though there are books and instructors who'll swear there is only ONE RIGHT WAY to do whatever (and take note that they don't all agree on which way is THE one!). Try each and decide for yourself which pleases you - the Maker! - best.
the Apache rug I am doing...one uses just the back of the loop. the front has to be kept free for later post making,

·
Registered
40 Posts
SuzieW said:
I agree with this response. Double crochet (UK/Australian terminology) ie Single crochet (US terminology) into back loop on each row will give a stretchy fabric very similar to single rib result in knitting. I like to use this to crochet beanies working the rows vertically until I have sufficient width to fit around the head. There are patterns for this on-line, but I don't have one to hand just at the moment. So it depends what final finish you want for your fabric

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
if you go under 2 loops the fabric will be a bit thicker, firmer than going under 1

Each method will produce a different look so it is a design preference.

I also go into the back bump at times for a very different kind of detail.

And will also go into the back loop and rear bump simultaneously for another effect.

All is fair in knitting and crochet.

·
Registered
725 Posts
in filet crochet it is better to go through the previous row stitch not the space to achieve the best look, some people will always use the space between stitches it just depends on the look you would like . just remember if you use the in between space to count the stitches as it is easy to loose them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
bethv61 said:
Which way do you crochet? I've read that the correct way to crochet is to insert the hook under the top 2 loops. I've also read where you can insert hook either in front loop or back loop. Is there a correct way or are any of these ways proper? Thanks!
In my experience (41 years crocheting) patterns assume you will insert the hook under the top 2 loops unless otherwise specified. This will give you the look pictured in the pattern. Crocheting through the back/front loop is specified for ridges for visual effect, hemming, or making a loop to add a ruffle, etc. later. All that being said, I totally agree with everyone that there are no police. We are artists, and what we create will often look better than the pattern!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You ladies are great! I knew I'd get the answer here :) I've crocheted all of those ways and I have been getting different looking results. I was making a sweater for my husband and wondered why it wasn't looking like in the picture. Now I know that unless I want a different look to insert hook under 2 loops :) Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
And, to create a thinner fabric.......

Across your row of stitches, hook under the back loop of one then the front loop of the next. Alternate across the row. Reverse on the next row so you don't have a ribbing like fabric.

Lynne

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
bethv61 said:
I've read that the correct way to crochet is to insert the hook under the top 2 loops. I've also read where you can insert hook either in front loop or back loop. Is there a correct way or are any of these ways proper? Thanks!
How you make the stitches depends on the pattern. There are more ways to make stitches than just going through one or both loops. In making roses with elevated petals, for example, on some patterns you crochet into the post of the single crochet between petals, from the back. Or on a row in which you are increasing the number of petals, you may crochet into the lower portion of the tallest or center stitch on the back of the petal on the previous row. There are also times when either the pattern asks you to drop the loop on the hook and pick it up on the back of the work or through another stitch, or you may decide that you want to do that yourself. Post stitches direct you to crochet around the post of the stitch on the previous row, or around the post of the stitch a few rows down. Sometimes a pattern will ask that you crochet over an entire stitch. For example, I've seen patterns that are rows of single crochet, and at different intervals, often using a different color, a stitch will be made around an entire single crochet that is two rows below, in order to make a "spike" of the new color into the previous color.

When crocheting the next round over a chain loop, some patterns direct the worker to crochet into each of the chains, and some direct the worker to make the stitches for that row around the chains in the chain loop.

It is similar when making picot stitches. Sometimes a pattern will ask you to make one stitch, then some chains, and then another stitch. Some patterns will ask you to make a stitch, then some chains, and then slip stitch or single crochet into the stitch you just made before the chains.

Filet crochet is similar. Some patterns direct you to crochet around the chain stitches in the space on the previous row, and some patterns direct you to crochet into each of the chains.

For myself, I keep a notebook of plastic sleeves with portions of patterns and samples that I've made, so that I can make my own decisions about what will best keep the stitches together (so that they don't spread), what will best keep the pattern from shifting around, what will create the most sturdy end product, and/or what will make the most desirable surface design or look. When making roses, for example, there are times when I want them to lay flat, and times when I want them to stand up. It's the way I make the stitches and their placement that helps me to achieve the desired effect.

I always save "mistakes." More often than not a "mistake" on one project is something essential for the success of another. And you never know when those "mistakes" are going to show up on the work of someone far more experienced and knowledgeable as the "best" way to crochet.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Using either the front or back loop with give a different "lie" to the stitch. A row of back or front loop stitches will start a "roll" in the fabric either forward or backward depending on which is used. Same effect as a rolled edge in knitted stockinette stitch. The slip stitch through back of loop will make a crocheted fabric that looks like knitting. It is all in the design element you wish to incorporate. No wrong, no right ... just ingenuity in design:)

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom