Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished unravelling a very strange - to me - blanket. The strange part was the spacing of the dc's. I have never seen a granny-square pattern with a ch-3 space between each group of 3 dc's - and the 3 dc's were worked in the ch3-sp of the previous round. It was worked in rounds, and it did resemble a monster granny-square (too big for a king-size bedspread!), but the spacing made me think more of filet crochet than granny-squares. Never saw a filet pattern worked in the round either.

Anyone ever see a granny-square pattern like that?

Registered
That's a new one to me, but sure would be easy for a round table topper... It wouldn't have to be turned. I have a couple filet books and don't recall anything in the round either... but I'm going to take another look in the morning...

Registered
I have made several to use up yarn given to me and I doint even do the chain one in between the 3 double crochetes . It makes the holes smaller and looks better. Also I chain one at the corners. The chain 3 must look awful

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorlenna said:
That kind of granny square was one of the first things I learned to crochet--my MIL taught me--it was the only kind she ever did, and she made my first baby a blankie that way, one big square.
One big square, yes. But a ch3 between each group of dc's? She taught you to do it that way?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
T.Pacos said:
... The chain 3 must look awful
Not anymore; I ripped it all out. $6 for 2500g of once-used, probably never washed worsted weight yarn! The yarn is happier, and the world won't miss that eyesore.

Registered
Jessica-Jean said:
Sorlenna said:
That kind of granny square was one of the first things I learned to crochet--my MIL taught me--it was the only kind she ever did, and she made my first baby a blankie that way, one big square.
One big square, yes. But a ch3 between each group of dc's? She taught you to do it that way?
Yup. That's exactly the way she taught me. "Threes all around," she said.

Registered
elsiemarley said:
There are dozens of variations of granny squares -- it's more or less a 'folk' pattern, first handed down, and then printed in magazines and pattern books. -- I don't think there is any right way --
I agree...I don't think there is any right way to crochet a granny square.

Registered
I was taught chain three between sets of three Double Crochet groups because the next round the space was where I would put the next set of Double Crochet groups and then the chain three would be over top of the previous block of Double Crochets. I remember asking my mother how I could stay warm under a blanket with so many holes in. Later I learned the version where you only chain at the corners and just DC in every stitch to make a solid granny. Personally, I think the latter looks better and keeps warmer.

BTW, I saw a blanket the other day made with granny squares all made out of the same ohmbre yarn and the pattern is amazing, just the way it meets or doesn't in the round.

Registered
I have a granny square afghan that is done in squares and they resemble the filet crochet style.. but they are done in squares and put together.. and I am sure they are 3 dc and chain 3 to make the boxes even.. but it was too lacy for a warm afghan and fell apart when I washed what little I had.. must of been a wayward knot that I didn't redo.. either way I was upset and it has sat in a box for a few years now...
I personally love the traditional granny square but all the others are just nice for me to look at... a granny square afghan takes forever to make in the first place.. I don't need the fancy stuff to go with it...
Congrats on scoring all that yarn.. I know you will do something much nicer with it...

Registered
I have worked filet in the round but with filet you would anchor the first and last st into a chain rather than into the space.

The one great virtue of granny squares is that you can make them any of a million different ways and they are all correct and interesting. I might just try a ch 3 version just to see what you get. :D

Registered
Jessica-Jean said:
T.Pacos said:
... The chain 3 must look awful
Not anymore; I ripped it all out. $6 for 2500g of once-used, probably never washed worsted weight yarn! The yarn is happier, and the world won't miss that eyesore.
Good idea. I will have to look for garage or rummage sale blankets to recycle the yarn. Yarn can be so expensive.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom