Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Jill2 said:
When doing a long tail cast on, yes, the initial move makes 2 stitches....even though it is just one initial action, it counts as two of the required cast on stitches.
I've never heard that ... when I use the long tail cast on I only get one stitch on the first and all others ... is there another way to do the long tail that I've never seen?
Yvette

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
mtnchild said:
Jill2 said:
When doing a long tail cast on, yes, the initial move makes 2 stitches....even though it is just one initial action, it counts as two of the required cast on stitches.
I've never heard that ... when I use the long tail cast on I only get one stitch on the first and all others ... is there another way to do the long tail that I've never seen?
Yvette
Here's a video showing what we are talking about...
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=8wUPQDYtoy0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8wUPQDYtoy0

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
mtnchild said:
Jill2 said:
Yvette
The slip knot you put on the right needle when you do your cast on counts as the 1st st. so after the first actual cast on stitch you have two stitches. Right?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
jmcret05 said:
mtnchild said:
Jill2 said:
Yvette
The slip knot you put on the right needle when you do your cast on counts as the 1st st. so after the first actual cast on stitch you have two stitches. Right?
I wasn't taught to use a slip knot....(50 some yrs. ago)....watch the video I posted above and you'll see what I mean.
Not saying that a slip knot wouldn't work, I'm sure it works just fine. And, if used, yes it is included in the overall stitch count.

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
Jill2 said:
jmcret05 said:
mtnchild said:
Jill2 said:
Yvette
I wasn't taught to use a slip knot....(50 some yrs. ago)....watch the video I posted above and you'll see what I mean.
Not saying that a slip knot wouldn't work, I'm sure it works just fine. And, if used, yes it is included in the overall stitch count.
I guess it depends on when you learned and from what source. There are videos both with and with using a slip knot. Learn something new every day. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
crankyb0714 said:
When directions say to cast on 19 stitches does it really mean to do 19 even though the first one created 2 stitches? It has been a while since I have done this. Thanks!
I know what you mean to ask is: when casting on, does the slip knot count as a stitch? The answer is Yes. When you have finished casting on you should have nineteen stitches on your needle, regardless of how they got there.
youtube.com has videos demonstrating almost anything you need to know relative to knitting.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
Jill2 said:
mtnchild said:
Jill2 said:
Yvette
Here's a video showing what we are talking about...
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=8wUPQDYtoy0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8wUPQDYtoy0
That is a link to a mobil device here is a link for a computer
at least that first link wouldn't work on my computer and this link does.. just in case anyone was haveing a problem

Some people don't use that first stitch. I do and just count it as #1 when I am casting on. I don't do a slip knot either and this makes sense since I used Knittinghelp.com as my 'go to' learning video's... :) and that is how they show to do it..

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
jmcret05 said:
mtnchild said:
Jill2 said:
Yvette
OK, now I see what you are saying ... I thought you meant that the slip knot made 2 stitches ... I do count the slip knot, but just not in conjunction with the 2nd stitch ... We mean the same thing ... LOL
Thank you
Yvette

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
This is a great question in my opinion. That's because I've always wondered in crocheting (if I may change the subject slightly) how you count a chain. Then I began Mikey's Never-Ending Afghan and watched his web site many times for instruction and saw the following at about 1 1/2 minutes into the video =
where he counts in crochet. His statement there threw me for a loop. I would love opinions on that comment.

ps: btw, how do you make a link alive? Could someone make me an example that I would understand. I've tried a tag (at the left but didn't work) Having senior moments!!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
iShirl said:
Oh boy, ignore my ps comment - It came out right without my help! LOL
just make sure you have the whole address ... starting with the http : // www, etc. etc.

or copy the line in the address space at the top of the site you want to list. LOL
Yvette

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom