Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a crocheter for decades and am just now trying to learm to knit well. When I crochet, it usually isn't a big deal if you come to a knot in the yarn when undoing a skein and you are in the middle of the row. You just clip, reattach and keep going and weave in the ends later. However, in the stockinette stitch, for example, this could cause a visible bump or ridge in the middle of the back of a sweater. With baby things, I pull enough out of the skein to reach the end of a row, but what can I do when I am knitting something with longer rows and don't have a rows worth of yarn pulled out??

This is my first question on the forum, and I surely do hope it makes sense!!

Karen

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Bucket,

Hi and welcome! I have knitted just about everything there is to knit in 45+ yrs. I cut out the manufacturer's knot. Leaving about a 4 inch tail on both ends, I will knot the yarn together TEMPORARILY. This will allow you to continue knitting. When finished I undo the knot and work in the end. No "bumps" on the back.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
one of the things i like to do to avoid this (and join on the edges) is to take the end of the yarn, when you're getting close....fold in half, place raw end of yarn next to your work and fold the whole piece in two....now make a slip knot at the center fold......if you knit THIS whole row and finish before you get to the knot, you are fine and have at least one more row's worth.....if you have to pull the slip knot out to finish THIS row, you cannot do another and can tie on at the edge...

i do tie on and weave in most of the time, but sometimes the yarn or dressiness call for a different treatment...

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
deemail,

As long as you remember, that method won't work for knitting in the round--no future edge seams.

By knotting temporarily, untying the knots and working in the ends later, you have a method that will work for all applications.

·
Registered
375 Posts
StitchDesigner said:
Bucket,

Hi and welcome! I have knitted just about everything there is to knit in 45+ yrs. I cut out the manufacturer's knot. Leaving about a 4 inch tail on both ends, I will knot the yarn together TEMPORARILY. This will allow you to continue knitting. When finished I undo the knot and work in the end. No "bumps" on the back.
DOH! Why didn't I ever think of this! I would just pull my stitches back out to the end of the row. See if I ever do that again :lol: !

Thanks Stitch Designer!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom