Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am making my first set of mittens. When I watch the video, the instructors are knitting on the outside of the mitten. I can do that, but it seems easier to knit on the inside, so that the wrong side is showing. Dies it make a difference? Thanks do much.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I do not know what mitten pattern you are using but mine have always started with ribbing then whatever stitch I use. I then remove what will be thumb on a small stitch holder. I decrease and hit the top. There are many ways to end top. If I am knitting gloves I also am on front side. I knit Continental so maybe that's it.
I did 40 sets of mittens for my daughters drill team. The colors were blue and gold. Blue was main color. Ribbing and Pom Pom on top were this yellow gold ,
I was so sick of them by the end but I truly thought I could be half asleep and knit them :shock:

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
It doesn't make a difference whether the right side is out, or the inside is out (reverse stockinette stitch may be what you are referring to).
It is your creation...make how you like it to be.

I personally like the stockinette stitch as the base stitch pattern.
Snow can be "snapped" off easier than garter stitch or reversed stockinette stitch IMHO.

·
Premium Member
81,212 Posts
dgoll said:
Hi! I am making my first set of mittens. When I watch the video, the instructors are knitting on the outside of the mitten. I can do that, but it seems easier to knit on the inside, so that the wrong side is showing. Dies it make a difference? Thanks do much.
I don't see that it makes any difference which side is outside while knitting. You can always turn the other side out for wearing.

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
I don't see that it makes any difference which side is outside while knitting. You can always turn the other side out for wearing.
Way to go, J-J!!! That's exactly what I thought. Then I wondered if she meant actually having the purl side show on the outside while wearing them?! Oh well, in either case, they're still mittens for keeping out the cold and the wet regardless of what side is on the "outside."

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yes! Again, I am just starting my second meeting, bit it is much less bulky this way and the needles are easier to hold. Thanks for the link. It is fascinating, particularly the yarn around the neck for more even tension! Thanks!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I also prefer to knit the thumb before I do the main part of the mitten. When I get to where they say to put the thumb stitches on a stitch holder, I leave them on the needles & put the hand stitches on the holders. To each their own!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom