Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to knitting,but I am getting my feet wet!!!
Would you kindly tell me what edge stitches are and why are they not included in the stitch count. That is what I need to know for today,however, I am sure I will be back with more questions in the future. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Hello, I am new to knitting myself and have discovered that some pattern stitches, such as stockinette, curl at the edges. The edge or border stitches keep that from happening for a flat item such as a scarf or afghan. Typical border stitches are garter stitch, seed stitch, minimum of 4 or 5, more if you want.
If the pattern doesn't include it you need to remember to start and end every row with the border pattern.

For example, if you were making a stockinette scarf with a pattern that says CO 30, you would add 8 or 10 for the borders. You would also want to begin and end the scarf with 4 or 5 rows of border pattern unless you are adding fringe.

With practice you will find what you like best, happy knitting!
Lois

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Edge stitches can just be a single stitch that is slipped on the knit side and then worked on the purl side for a regular stockinette stitch. This prevents curl as mentioned earlier and also doesn't require any additional stitches (usually, unless you're working a lace or specific pattern.) This works well on pieces for sweaters or things that you need to join to another piece. Happy knitting - aluca

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom