Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on fingerless gloves and a hat and I'm using Noro Kureyon yarn. It says on the label to dry clean. Has anyone ever tried washing with cold water and Eucalan? Does it shrink, felt or do the colors run? I wonder if it's possible to clean these in the usual wool yarn manner?

I really wasn't thinking when I started this with a dry clean yarn...It's 100% wool...I never thought it had to be dry cleaned...Terrible choice for gloves and hats...

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I knitted a shawl with Noro Silk Garden yarn--dry clean only too-I steamed it lightly with my steam iron and let it dry. You can knit a swatch with your yarn and see what happens when you wash it by hand.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping someone had already tried washing this in the usual 100% wool yarn manner...

I am talking about later use after they need to be cleaned. This doesn't need blocking, that I can see.

Guess everyone out there reads labels first.....Let that be a lesson to me...

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
-MissMillie- said:
I have washed several items made with Silk Garden in Luke warm water, kookaburra wool wash, wrapped in towels to remove excess water then laid flat to dry. Beautiful every time.
That has silk in it and this is 100% wool...you would think there wasn't a problem but they say dry clean...go figure...

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
nanciann said:
That has silk in it and this is 100% wool...you would think there wasn't a problem but they say dry clean...go figure...
I hand and machine wash my 100% wools all the time... if you have a delicate setting and a laundry bag you can wash in the machine, but of course, you can hand wash, that's much less harsh than the chemicals... cold water wash, cold water rinse, soaking as much as possible and then gentle towel drying ( i like to layer a couple of towels, lay sweater on, layer a couple more towels on top, folding arms to the outside of top layer, one more towel on arms, fold a couple of times and then walk on it while watching tv for several minutes, paying attention to all areas of the towel packet.... now take out, lay flat on dry towel, brush item FROM the top TO the hem, gently stroking the knit sts all in the downward direction, sort of 'combing', but just with the flat of your hand.... it will look like a million bucks when dry...

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
nanciann said:
I am working on fingerless gloves and a hat and I'm using Noro Kureyon yarn. It says on the label to dry clean. Has anyone ever tried washing with cold water and Eucalan? Does it shrink, felt or do the colors run? I wonder if it's possible to clean these in the usual wool yarn manner?

I really wasn't thinking when I started this with a dry clean yarn...It's 100% wool...I never thought it had to be dry cleaned...Terrible choice for gloves and hats...
I have made a few items with Noro,I have never dry cleaned any of them.I would think the chemicals used in dry cleaning would be way too harsh for wool.I have felted a few items using Noro,it is not very good for felting.I have never had any of the colors run.Myself I wouldn't bother with the dry cleaning,just an extra expense.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
deemail said:
I hand and machine wash my 100% wools all the time... if you have a delicate setting and a laundry bag you can wash in the machine, but of course, you can hand wash, that's much less harsh than the chemicals... cold water wash, cold water rinse, soaking as much as possible and then gentle towel drying ( i like to layer a couple of towels, lay sweater on, layer a couple more towels on top, folding arms to the outside of top layer, one more towel on arms, fold a couple of times and then walk on it while watching tv for several minutes, paying attention to all areas of the towel packet.... now take out, lay flat on dry towel, brush item FROM the top TO the hem, gently stroking the knit sts all in the downward direction, sort of 'combing', but just with the flat of your hand.... it will look like a million bucks when dry...
Thank you...

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dwagner said:
I made a sweater with Noro Kureyon. I hand washed in cool water, using Woolite Extra Delicate Care and it turn out just fine without any scrinkage :thumbup:
Thank you so much....that is exactly what I thought but before doing a swatch (I may need every yard to finish) I wondered if someone else had a good luck with this...

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lolly12 said:
I have made a few items with Noro,I have never dry cleaned any of them.I would think the chemicals used in dry cleaning would be way too harsh for wool.I have felted a few items using Noro,it is not very good for felting.I have never had any of the colors run.Myself I wouldn't bother with the dry cleaning,just an extra expense.
These gloves and hat are a gift and I wanted to be sure I gave the correct info on cleaning...I hate to give something to someone that needs dry cleaning...Thank you so much...

·
In Memoriam
3,831 Posts
I made both of these sweaters from Noro Kureyon wool.
They were hand-washed immediately after knitting to block them.
Both are soft and comfy...no shrinking, shape change, or felting.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
sockit2me said:
I made both of these sweaters from Noro Kureyon wool.
They were hand-washed immediately after knitting to block them.
Both are soft and comfy...no shrinking, shape change, or felting.
Those sweaters are beautiful, I especially like the first one,it's very striking
:D :D

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I have hand washed all my Noro garments, I use Dynamo (Aus washing liquid) and none of them have been ruined. I also hang them half over the washing line and let them dry in the sun, wind etc. I have never had anything go wrong with the garments. I didn't even read the label that says dry clean only.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I've never had a problem with washing any kind of Noro yarn - either by hand or by the gentllest cycle spcifically for wool/silk and delicates in my machine, then letting it dry naturally.

Many manufacturers state "dry clean only". I look at what the garment is made from, and unless its a wool winter coat, for example, it gets washed gently. No problems yet. I think the makers just don't want complaints ....

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
I have knitted with Noro and love it and had no problem with hand washing. I am dismayed to hear it says dry clean, because I haven't tried the Kureyon yet and have wanted to try it. I bet you can hand wash it, but the colors might fade or run a little.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Hand wash for garments. I've also purposely felted it for a tote bag. Felts well.

Remember the source of the yarn - perhaps there is something different about dry cleaning methods in Japan than elsewhere...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom