Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new to pattern reading and think I'm asking an obvious question. I see now that the instructions are spaced in a certain way but when I read this first...I'll duplicate here:

Proceed in stocking st for 8 rows.
Inc 1st each end of needle on next and every following 6th row to 56 sts, then on every 8th row to 62 stitches.

I interpreted this as first I did the 8 Stock St rows ...Then I followed the increases on the 9th and following rows...Now I am thinking they wanted me to do the increases within the 8 rows.

then they did another space before the next set of instructions.
I'm doing sleeves so I will have to duplicate what I did but still wondered what you think I should have done. thanks all you wonderful smart knitters. My thinking was I was knitting as I read.
;-)

· Registered
45 Posts
you were right to knit the 8 rows of stocking st then increase on the 9th row. then you add 6 rows (row 15) and increase on that row. keep increasing on the 6th (add 6 rows to the last row worked) row until you have 56 stitches. Then add 8 rows to that last row number and increase on that row and each 8th row after that until you have the 62 stitches.
What I do is put a safety pin on the end of the row I made my last increase/decrease on and count rows until I'm at the one I need to do an increase or decrease on. Then I do the increase row and continue the same way until I have all the stitches I need.
Say you had 48 stitches on rows 1-8. then on row 9 you would have 50 stitches, row 15-52 stitches, row 21-54 stitches and so on till you have 56 stitches on row 27, then you start counting by 8's so row 35 would have 58 stitches, 43 would have 60 stitches etc.
It took me a while to figure it out too but my mom is a whiz at knitting so I was lucky.
Have a great time knitting!

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...I was mulling over this and am glad this was your conclusion...I would have to think they wouldn't tell you something and then as a by the way do this in those 8 rows didn't sit right with me...what threw me is they lumped the 2 instructions in one paragraph...glad you thought it was this way too. Now to keep track thanks for your tip on this!

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both really good tips! thanks. Patterns are quite new to me and I see more and more I want to make so tried and true tips are so much easier than trial and error, which mostly had been the route I took.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OH no!!! I was afraid this might happen...The other opinion...very interesting...then I would say it might be a flaw in the pattern writing that they do not make this clear...2 different interpretations. I did use common sense and start my increases sooner on the 9th row. Because it was set up together in one paragraph led me to believe this was maybe what they really meant.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...being new to reading patterns; this will help on patterns to come in my future to read it all first to see how it is written...I sew more than I do knitting and I follow those patterns all the time...Now as I compare I guess I do it with sewing...Use common sense. As for knitting pattern stitches...I don't know how you guys do that. That would give me a major headache!

· Registered
1,238 Posts
If you want a third opinion weighing in, I'd say do the 8 rows, then increase, do 6 more rows, do an increase row, etc. Like oneangelonly wrote.

I use a donut shaped piece of cardboard that I put on my needles and every time I do a row, I just put a tick mark on it. Then on the increase row, I do the increase and use a new donut. I cut them out of index cards, so that helps me keep track of increases etc. HTH

Aluca

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aluca...I love your cardboard idea. I love as many opinions as are out there. but I think in the end I concur that there are a gazillion patterns written by so many and as much as they may all try to follow a certain standard...we can't automatically assume it is a certain way...from this I think reading it over entirely is my best defense and coming here for this great sounding board...My favorite knitting website!

· Registered
15 Posts
This is why, we all have different talents. I've tried sewing, and "well", diseaster how do you want to spell it. It looks terrible. Altnough I did a quilt for my sister, when she got married yrs back. But it was done my way, and not so much to a pattern. Sewing is very specific to a pattern.

· Registered
3,277 Posts
I wish that back in the day my maths teachers used real life example that I could apply to my life.

Measuring and cutting for a quilt
making curtains and shades
reading knitting patterns and making adjustment
designing or decorating a house or room
spacing a garden etc The list goes on and on.
recipes
Applied math is now offered in many schools especially tec schools. How sensible is that? I'd have been a better math student.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom