Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the link I am using. http://knittingfool.com/SweaterPatterns/TopDownRaglanPullover.aspx

First they tell me to cast on 101 stitches and do a P two, K two for the neck band, which will obviously result in the last P one and then the first Ptwo again on the next round, making three P in a row, right?

Also, in the beginning under Torso it says to increase 3 but not exactly where. Then it goes on to tell you where to put the markers and I know what they say about the increases then. I just don't understand the first 3 increases and where I would put them. Thank you in advance for your answers.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
With a 2x2 ribbing your number of stitches needs to be divisible by 4. I would cast on 100 stitches.

I pulled up the link, but with the information that is entered it says to cast on 97 stitches. The for the torso it says to increase 1 stitch then divide the stitches by knitting 15 stitches, place marker, knit 34 stitches, place marker (this is the back), knit 15 stitches for next shoulder, place marker, knit 24 stitches for front, place marker which is beginning of round and 1st shoulder.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that is the general one but when I entered my sizes, they do say to increase by three. So, even with their instructions, where then would you increase by 1 ? Right in the beginning? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I would cast on 100 stitches for the 2x2 ribbing then increase 4 stitches. If you are increasing by knitting through front and back of the stitch I'd make your 1st increase in the 2nd stitch, then increase in stitches 26, 52, and 76. If you a increasing by make 1 between stitches then increase between the 1st and 2nd stitch, the 25th and 26th stitch, 50th and 51st stitch, and 75th and 76th stitch.

·
Premium Member
81,213 Posts
KnittingFool said:
be aware that this pattern is a percentage approximation. If you are accustomed to having a pattern that spells everything out to the letter or if you are a beginner this pattern may not meet all your needs. The pattern you will get from this process will be a guideline to making a sweater, but you need to know something about what you are doing.
You need to think through what you're doing and figure out for yourself the spacing of such things as increases.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you are right, Jessica-Jean. I have 104 stitches on the needles but when they give the placement for the increases, they treat it as though there are only 100 stitches on the needles. I just don't know where to go from here.

I have not been able to find a raglan, pullover like this anywhere with all the searching I did so I thought I could do this one. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
81,213 Posts
beelady said:
you are right, Jessica-Jean. I have 104 stitches on the needles but when they give the placement for the increases, they treat it as though there are only 100 stitches on the needles. I just don't know where to go from here.

I have not been able to find a raglan, pullover like this anywhere with all the searching I did so I thought I could do this one. Thanks.
You do a bit of simple math and place the increases more-or-less evenly. Not everything NEEDS to be precise. A stitch or few one way or the other won't change anything in the finished product.

As for finding similar patterns, have you checked Ravelry? Top-down, seamless, knit, sweater, and free:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search?query=#photo=yes&craft=knitting&view=captioned_thumbs&availability=free&pa=seamless%2Btop-down&sort=popularity&pc=sweater

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I have checked there but they are mostly cardigans or Vnecks etc etc and I just want a nice round neckband like they are showing and the raglan sleeves and all knit in the round. I even bought a book but was disappointed in it and can not follow it.

Thanks, I will try just spreading out those 4 extra stitches and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
81,213 Posts
beelady said:
Yes, I have checked there but they are mostly cardigans or Vnecks etc etc and I just want a nice round neckband like they are showing and the raglan sleeves and all knit in the round. I even bought a book but was disappointed in it and can not follow it.

Thanks, I will try just spreading out those 4 extra stitches and see what happens.
On Ravelry, 'crew' seems to mean 'round'; I've added 'crew' neck to the filters.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search?query=#photo=yes&craft=knitting&view=captioned_thumbs&availability=free&pa=seamless%2Btop-down%2B%2Bcrew-neck&sort=popularity&pc=sweater

·
Registered
20,964 Posts
I have had patterns in the past that have you cast on an ODD number when working in the round. BUT you work the last and first stitch together n the first round. Helps close any gap.

And I agree with JessicaJean about spacing the 3 stitches.
Sometimes we just need to DO IT and stop worrying too much.
If you are concerned, just increase 2 sts under the arm area.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, great. Thanks, I will be brave and go for it but just learned that I should do a swatch in the round not in the square that I did, so it is back to the beginning for me anyway. But I will get it done I am sure. With all the great help on here, it is wonderful.

·
Registered
20,964 Posts
My go to booklet is
Leisure Arts Knitted Raglans 9 months to size 50
Leaflet # 159.
Have had it a zillion years.

·
Registered
20,964 Posts
My go to booklet is
Leisure Arts Knitted Raglans 9 months to size 50
Leaflet # 159.
Have had it a zillion years.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Here's a pattern you might want to try: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2013/3/17/lauras-loop-the-sweatshirt-sweater.html
I've not made it, but it's high on my list for whenever I get around to making something for myself. ;-) I'm hoping she'll follow with a hooded version this fall as she has mentioned considering. There are lots of pics showing construction, and many comments/questions from people who've made the sweater or are considering it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
beelady said:
Wonder if they still have it. I will look into it. I just have to get used to doing things a bit more mathmatically I guess.

Thanks for the reference.
I have the book, too--think I found it on clearance at W-M quite a few years ago. I've not used their directions entirely, but combined with a Drops pattern, and had good results.

You may have to do some searching--saw some places that had it listed, but turned out it was long-since sold. (This isn't the first time it's been mentioned on kp, so was probably a hot item for a while.) But I found one site that appeared to still be offering it, and at what looks like a decent price ($4.00); I didn't ck shipping, though. Take a look at http://www.vintageknits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3313 and if not there, then there's one on eBay at http://compare.ebay.com/like/400562445108?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar (priced a bit higher on Buy It Now, but free shipping). And there may be others on eBay. Good luck!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Betty 2012. I just checked purlbee and except for the pockets ( which I assume you can leave out) I like that very much.

I will investigate further and don't mind paying for a pattern if I know I can use it for what my needs are.

Never realized that a crew neck top down raglan would be so hard to find. Maybe because many are beyond that, but I like that type of sweater and usually bought that style anyway. Thanks for the links.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom