Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wink:

Hi All! I am "Strega" and live in Farmington, NY. I am trying to get back to knitting and crocheting after many years. Forgive my ingorance, but what does DK, DK yarn and Aran mean?

Also, what is the trick of using two yarns at once?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
43,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum. DK means double knitting, I believe in the USA you call it worsted weight. Aran is thicker than DK and there are specific stitches for doing Aran which is an island of the Scottish mainland. Hope this helps. Happy knitting.

·
Registered
43,279 Posts
D = double K = knitting. Well it does in the UK. Happy knitting.

·
Registered
43,279 Posts
p.s to my previous. If you Google knitting yarn you can find a chart that will give you yarns, suggested needles to use and how many stitches to the inch, This is a good guide when working out patterns. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
DK stands for 'double knitting' and it simply describes the weight (or ply) of the yarn. It's about 8 ply, so it's not a bulky yarn, but a nice warm weight for children's winter clothing.I live in New Zealand and the terms you American ladies use are very different! It's been interesting to read all the explanations, and I hope you enjoy learning about the words we use. New Zealand and Australia tend to use the same expressions as England (it's our colonial heritage!)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Strega, you also asked about using two yarns at once. Do you mean making a pattern in two colours? There's no real trick to it - you just carry the colour you're not using across the back of your knitting until you need it again (but don't pull it too tightly). If you have to carry it across more than 4 or 5 stitches, you can twist it around the yarn you're knitting with so you don't create long lines of unused yarn at the back (it's easy for the wearer to catch their fingers or jewellery on long strands).

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom